Chapter 19: Disease

Kenzou left his basement and made a decision, and pulled out his phone, calling someone.

   " Hello? "

   " Hello, Mr. L/n. Are you free to continue our conversation from sometime ago? "

   " I am, I was just getting a glass of wine ready to drink. Come over and have a drink with me and we can talk. "

   " I am heading that way now. "

   " Okay, bye. "

Kenzou hung up and put his phone in his pocket; he walked to Hiraku's room and checked on his little brother. He was peacefully asleep in bed, and Kenzou left the house knowing Hiraku wouldn't wake up. He drove to your home, and your father let him inside with a smile. 

   " Good to see you Kenzou. I've got the house alone at the moment. My daughter is on a date so I'm home alone. "

   " Drinking wine? "

   " Yes. . .she's just grown up so much. She looks just like her mother and I know her mother would be so proud of her. "

Your dad poured wine for Kenzou and walked into the living room, leaving the bottle on the counter. Kenzou took his glass and followed your father into the room.

   " What happened to your wife if you don't mind me asking? "

   " She had a disease. I can't remember what it is right now, but she had it since she was young and it festered until after she gave birth to Y/n. After she gave birth it started acting up and she was always tired, and she looked sickly. She didn't have much energy. She would always request Y/n to read for her and help her places. Y/n loved her mother dearly. When her mother needed help she was there before I could even step a foot in the room. "

Your father took a big gulp of wine, leaving half his glass half full. 

   " Then one day, it got worse. Y/n was at school when it happened. She fainted and the neighbor was over at the time taking care of her, and they called 911. I was called to the hospital during work and when I got there, the doctors had already x-rayed her and looked at the damage. They told me she wouldn't have much longer left. A few days. So, I picked Y/n up from school and I told her that some professionals were taking care of her mother, and that ina  few days she was going to go on a trip, and she wouldn't be able to come back. Y/n was sad, and then she looked at me in the eyes and asked if her mother was dying. " 

   " She was mature. "

   " I didn't think she was, but I guess she had to learn to grow up quickly so she could take care of her mother. I didn't beat around the bush anymore and told her what the doctors told me. She was of course upset but, she wanted to spend as much time with he mother as she could. We went to the hospital and Y/n never left her mother's side. She would draw pictures for her mother and show her as much love as she could, but after a few days she had died. "

   " Was Y/n there? "

   " She was. Her mother had a few things she wanted to tell us before she closed her eyes to sleep which would lead to her death that day. She gave us her final words and Y/n's clung to me since then. She makes sure I'm healthy, taken care of, and she makes sure that I smile. God, she's grown up so quickly and. . .she's just like her mother. "

Your dad finished his wine and set his glass on the table. He put his head in his hands, and tears fell from his eyes, obviously showing Kenzou that he had drank more than two cups of wine. Kenzou sipped his glass and set it on the table. He took your father's glass and walked into the kitchen. He poured another drink for your father, but he only filled the cup halfway. He looked around your kitchen and noticed a bottle of sleeping pills sitting on the counter, hiding behind the flour and sugar jars.

   " Why does he have sleeping pills? Is he having trouble sleeping? "

An idea sparked in Kenzou's head, and he took one of the pills and broke it. He stirred it in the wine and brought it back to your father. Your father took the glass from Kenzou and downed the drink. Kenzou took his seat beside your father and put his hand on your father's back.

   " Now, I'm worried. "

   " Worried over? "

   " Y/n. Before her mother died she had a spark of energy before she lost all of her energy. I don't know much about the disease and I've blocked most of the facts from my memory because I can't remember some of them. I'm worried that Y/n might have the same condition. "

Kenzou stiffened up at the mention of your health. He didn't want to believe you could be sick, so he put it to the back of his mind.

   " Has she shown a spark of sudden energy? "

   " No, she hasn't. "

   "Then, don't worry about her possibly being sick until you see the signs. And in the meantime try to remember your wife's condition. "

Your father nodded his head and leaned back against the sleep, closing his eyes. He fell asleep instantly, and Kenzou took his wine glass and your father's. He took them and set them in the kitchen. Now that your father was asleep, Kenzou could enact his plan.