Chapter 18

"We're gonna have babies soon." Le smiled, having taken off of work already.

"I am not in labor." I argued as we pulled out of the parking lot.

"Lalelei, you are in labor."

"Braxton Hicks, they've still got 2 ... oh boys, not yet." I groaned as another contraction hit.

"Ok, they're getting closer now. How about we have lunch near the hospital just to be sure?" he suggested, flexing his fingers after I let go of the deathgrip I had on him.

"I am not in labor." I repeated, feeling the panic set in.

"Lunch?" he insisted.

"Fine ... I want Panera."

"One strawberry chicken poppyseed salad and a green passion smoothie on the way." he said.

"You know me so well." I smiled.

"Baby, you get it every week after the appointment." he chuckled.

"It's really good!" I argued.

"It is though." he smiled.

"What are you gonna eat?"

"The chicken teriyaki and broccoli bowl. I'll probably get some mac'n'cheese too."

"And a soup and half a sandwich." I added.

"What are you trying to say?" he asked.

"That you're greedy." I smiled.

"If we were home, I'd show you greedy." he growled.

"Hmm ... teasing is not nice."

"But it's fun. Let's go eat."

While at lunch, I had a few strong contractions and Le was timing them. There was a big one after I finished eating, then 5 minutes later a very small, light one, and five minutes later another big one. Le called my obstetrician because I'm still in denial. She said the little ones count and to haul my ass back. That's how I found myself in the hospital an hour later, 4 cm dilated, and my contractions were a lot stronger.

"Baby, I've gotta call ... my mom." I groaned through another contraction.

The twins aren't due for another 2 weeks. Mom and Cassie are supposed to fly out here next week to be with me and help. They're gonna stay with us for at least a month, I don't know where but we'll figure it out.

"I've been keeping the family updated, Maria's already looking for flights to get out here as soon as possible. I told Mel to take your SUV to pick them up since she's got the keys to the house and she can let them in." he said.

"Thank you, mi amor." I sniffled. (my love)

"For what silly?" he chuckled, brushing my tears away.

"For loving my family. I swear mami and Cassie love you more than they love me."

"They're my family too. Mel picked Jojo up from gymnastics because mom got caught up with something and dad's at the school." he said, looking down at his phone.

"Mel adores her." I happily sighed.

"Jojo does too and wait until she gets a hold of Cassie. We'll never see her again." he smiled, bending down to kiss me.

"Baby, text Mel and ask her to keep Jojo for the night. Ask your mom to come here with us." I suddenly said.

"Are you sure?" he asked but I can read the extra happy in his eyes.

"It was always my intention to have both moms here." I smiled.

"You are amazing."

When Patricia arrived I calmed down, a lot. I was lucky to have her and a very encouraging nurse on rotation. Both women have given birth naturally multiple times. They knew how to help in a way that Le couldn't, no matter how many baby books he read. I was able to walk, take a shower, and find positions that were comfortable to be in while we waited. Le was amazing, super in control and supportive, always willing to try something new with me just to make sure I was comfortable.

By 7 pm, I was 6cm dilated and in active labor. We decided to move forward and break my water and after that things flew by. By 8:30 pm, I hit 10cm and they took me to the delivery room. These boys are ready to meet the world.

By 11:16 pm Ian Keoni was here. When they placed him on my chest, I knew a love that I've felt for one other person only and that's my Jojo. I felt that love double in size and then they gave him to Le before taking him away. At 11:29 pm Aiden Koa was born and that love tripled in size, then hit the stratosphere when I saw my husband cuddle our son with tears in his eyes. Patricia was all tears as she followed Aiden out.

"Te amo." I tearfully told my husband. (I love you)

"You are a champ. You are a warrior and I love you so much. Thank you for giving me two healthy baby boys and making our family bigger." he said, his own tears spilling over as he pressed his forehead to mine.

After cleaning them up, I got to hold and breastfeed both babies before they were whisked away to the NICU. Thankfully there weren't any health issues, they're just underweight and early. Ian came in at 4lbs 6oz and Aiden 4lbs 4oz. My babies are here and they're safe ... they're here. My mom got here the day after they were born and basically ran to the hospital. She wanted to stay in the NICU with them overnight but you know, hospital rules. Cassie came to visit but went back with Mel, who seems a little fishy. She's got something up her sleeves again.

Cassie, Mel, mami, Patricia, Sika, Ana, Trin, Jojo, the Jays, and the twins were in and out of the hospital while I was there. They didn't miss a visit even though they could only see the babies through the NICU glass windows. I was able to breastfeed both babies with no problem and they were allowed to co-bed thankfully. My hospital stay lasted four days and it was the hardest thing I've ever done leaving my boys there. Le promised we'd come back to the hospital early and the nurses told me to start pumping milk, so that's the plan.

I'm still a little emotional, a little fuzzy from pain meds but I know that this isn't the normal route home. Bless his heart for being a good husband and taking the scenic route for my benefit but I really just want my shower, my bed, and some Jojo snuggles. When he passed by the first and easiest exit to go home, I ignored it. When we passed the next two, I was starting to grow slightly annoyed and a little aggravated.

"Baby, where are we going?" I finally asked.

"It's a surprise." he smiled, taking my hand and kissing the back of it.

"Mi amor, I really just want to go home and shower."

"We will go home, I promise, just give me a few minutes." he said.

"Sure, fine, it's not like I have a choice since you're driving." I sighed, leaning my seat back to alleviate some of the discomfort.

"Grouchy pants, you'll be home in a few minutes." He chuckled, kissing the back of my hand again.

"I want a shower and my bed and all three of my babies with me." I sniffled.

"Soon babe, our boys will be home soon. You'll see." he sighed.

"I want my babies."

"Me too, I want all of my babies under one roof with me and my wife. I want all of the time in the world with my family."

"Let's go see your surprise." I told him, laying my head on his shoulder.

We got off of the highway and after a few minutes, Le pulled up to a gated community that I've never been to. To my surprise, he punched in a code and the gate sprung wide open. I don't know where we are and I'm not in the mood to be visiting anyone.

"Baby, where are we? Why are we here, are you visiting someone?" I asked when he parked in front of a really pretty house.

It sits at the end of a cul-de-sac with plenty of space between this house and the neighbors. I don't remember any of our friends telling us that they moved, or any of his family for that matter.

"We're not visiting anyone." he smiled.

"Mi amor, I love you, I really do but I'm tired and a little fuzzy. What are we doing here?" I asked again.

He held out a set of keys and kept that smile that I love so much on his face.

"Welcome home, lalelei."