Chapter 3 Chloe

After an awkward journey in what can only be described as a space ship, you and Clint arrive at a ranch, or farm, you aren't quite sure what to call it. All you know is, you wont last long here, its in the middle of nowhere, you aren't surprised that this is where Clint chose to put down his roots, he was always a country bumpkin at heart. Your heart sinks when you see the tyre swing being pushed by the breeze, and the abandoned bikes out front, you don't remember having any of that, but you wonder if the memories are just lost in the haze of drugs. You say goodbye to Natasha, and exit the jet. Stomach sick with nerves you follow Clint up the wooden stairs to the porch and stand at the front door.

"You ready?" Clint gives you a reassuring nudge, as he opens the door
"Honey?" Shouting as he walk through.
You are trying to control your pounding heart by taking deep breaths, but trying to keep them quiet, not wanting to draw attention to your anxiety.
Laura walks into the room, looking effortlessly beautiful as always, her long brown hair tousled and falling neatly onto her shoulders, her stomach round - heavily pregnant.
"Chloe, hi! What...how...?" Her big brown eyes wide with confusion as she wraps her head around you standing in her hallway.
You turn to your brother, and out of the side of your mouth you whisper to him
"I told you she'd shit a brick"
"Watch your language, this is my home" he elbows you in the rib jokingly

You take a step forward, looking at your sister in laws hand, she is holding a bunch of kids drawings, they make you smile slightly, you look up at her face which still has shock stricken across it.
"Hi, Laura" you give an awkward wave, why the fuck did you wave?

Clint walks across to his wife, kissing her softly on the cheek and wraps his strong arm around her. He looks happy, content. In this environment you wouldnt believe that he was a secret agent, or even an Avenger. In this environment, in his home he just looks like any other stereotypical TV father. The kind you wish you had growing up.
"Chloe is going to stay with us for a few days, okay honey?" Well at least you know its only for a few days, he made that clear.
"Okay, sure!" She replied nervously - it was not okay. He face said it all. Bless her for trying to conceal it though.
She smiles at you, and opens her mouth as though ready to speak, but changes her mind. What felt like 5 minutes but was only 10 seconds, she finally spoke
"Are you...umm... er" you know exactly what she is trying to ask so to save her the embarrassment of actually asking you finish her sentence.

"I'm clean if thats what you want to know" she takes a sharp inhale, then lets her breath out slowly

"Of course! I mean, prison! You can't get drugs in prison" shes rambling now and she laughs awkwardly, you laugh inside at her naivety.

"Ha! Its actually pretty easy to keep up a habit in ja..." Clint stares at you with a concerning look on his face, so you decide not to finish.

Laura slaps Clint on the chest as she smiles awkwardly again, you hear the ping of the oven and you begin to take in your surroundings, smelling a familiar savoury scent, that makes your heart feel warm. Its a comforting, homely smell.
"Well why dont you take a shower Chloe, and I will make you some tea" placing the pictures onto the oak dining table. You knod thankfully and make you way out to the stairs, you turn back around to thank Laura and catch her giving Clint a disconcerting look.
"Thank you" you say to both of them, feeling a lump in your throat knowing that you arent actually welcome, having no other option but to endure it.
Laura smiles at you " I will call your mom, let her know you are here, she will be so delighted" liar!
You react quickly "NO! Don't!" She looks at you, taken back by you raising your voice to her. She absolutely cannot call your mom.
Clint turns to Laura and whispers
"Theres been a bit of an issue with that, so lets just leave it be for now honey"
Thank fuck. You cannot deal with that woman, not today, not tomorrow, not any day in fact.
"I'm gonna go shower, I need to get the smell of prison, and all this dust and rubble out my hair" you glare at Clint, almost menacingly.