Chapter 93 Chloe Barton

Unable to shake the feeling of worry, hurt and betrayal you go to the only person who understands.
Even though he doesn't want to see you, he doesn't want to see anyone.
Bucky would rather stew in his own self pity than let anyone near.
But you tap in your code and scan your palm any way, and walk into the holding area where Bucky sits on his bed contained within the same four glass walls that Loki once was.
You notice right away that his dark brown hair is short, a little fluffy on top and but neatly trimmed at the sides, he looks almost peaceful sprawled out across his bed reading, you scrunch your eyes trying to focus, The Hobbit.
A flickering smile warms your cheeks.
You tap the glass gently and he turns his head to see your defeated frame.
You scan your palm on his cell door and let yourself in.
"Hi." You whisper, the silence down here is exactly what you need right now. The noise your brain is making is enough to fill Madison Square Gardens twice.
He sits up on his bed sliding over making room for you, "Sam told me."  Your eyes gloss over with tears bringing your knees up to you chest you hold on to them.
He pulls your body over and you lean on him, like you have so many times before.

"I like your haircut." You sob trying to think of anything else, trying to get Steve's happy face out of your mind. 
But what hurts more is that he deserves to be happy, and if you couldn't give him that then you had no business being angry at him. Only you were.

Bucky purses his lips a low growl builds in his chest, "why didn't you tell anyone about Agent Carter?"

A heavy sigh ripples through your sobs, "I thought it would all have come to light when SHIELD was exposed as being a faction of HYDRA, I thought the slippery bitch would have been outed."
But also, you are too exhausted to go through it all again. And now that Steve is happy with her, why would you want to tear that away from him?
After everything you done to him.

Bucky's sigh matches yours, "Chloe, why not tell him now?" He looks you in the eyes, "I'll back you up."
Because he's the only other person that witnessed it, she used him as her weapon.
"Bucky you didn't see how happy he was, how could I take that away from him?" You look down, tears tumbling off your face and onto your jeans, "besides..." you clear your throat deciding not to finish your sentence.
Bucky wraps his arm around and pulls you into his chest, "besides who would take the word of a junkie and a mass murderer who doesn't know his own mind." He finishes it for you.
You snap your head up quickly, "I know your mind.  I do, in here." You bang your chest, "you're a good man Bucky."
You've seen the good in him. You'll be damned if you let him forget it.
"I could say the same for you." He rests his cheek on top of your head.
And for a moment the noise in your brain goes silent and you are able to relax.
But only for a moment.
"You know they are watching us on the cameras right?" You mumble, flashbacks shoot through your mind.
Bucky chuckles, "oh I've heard about your escapades."
You punch his ribs, "hey!"
He fights against you pulling you into a headlock and messing up your hair.
"What are you gonna do now?" Bucky pants letting you go.
You stare into his steel blue eyes, "I'm gonna ask Tony to let you out." You jump off his bed cockily.
Its enough now.
There is no reason for him to be down here.
"Don't!" Bucky grabs your wrist pulling you back as you make your way to the door, "I don't want to make waves." He mumbles quietly.

He isn't making waves, you're making them. You wont stop until you get him out.
He is your anchor right now. And you know its selfish of you, but you need him.
Clint has a family you can't lean on him the way you need to. But Bucky is here, and he owes you. By fuck does he owe you.
"I need you Buck, I'm hanging on by a fucking thread here. I'm one more bad day from...well you know." You dry your soaked face with your hands.

"You aren't always going to be able to rely on me Chloe, you're gonna have to face it yourself at some point." He offers you a sad smile.

"I know," you nod, "doesn't mean I'm gonna stop fighting for you though."