Chapter 128 Chloe Barton

Sirens took over the noise of the world. Everyone was gunning for you, Steve and Bucky. Thankfully Clint made it home before anyone knew he had anything to do with...what were they calling it?
Oh thats right; a civil war.

That hurt; knowing that you had caused this. If you could just have let go of your anger towards Rumlow, and he detonated the bomb anyway then the team would have taken the blame collectively. That would have been better? No. Either way people died. It was better that you were at fault. Because you know that you would have swallowed all that guilt anyway.

And heres the rub, you hurt Tony in the process.

"I have to talk to him Steve, I'll make it my last chance to explain. I can't leave it like this." You explain, pacing around the damp warehouse you've been hiding in.

Steve's brows furrow, but his expression is soft.  He hates this as much as you do. Typical good guy.
"Okay, in and out. The place will be teaming with —"

You cut him off with a kiss, speaking against his mouth, "I know, I've got this." You say.

**

Tony pushes Peppers hand away from the cut on his face, you watch from the door way as he apologises immediately.

"I'm sorry, just—" His voice trails off, out of the corner of his eye he sees you.

Pepper follows his gaze, "You've got some nerve." She hisses at you.

"I'm sorry Pepper." You say, but she doesn't reply. Instead, she barges past you knocking you into the room with Tony.

Its the least you deserve.

The hospital is bustling, the authorities are swarming around like vultures. By some miracle you managed to sneak past them with your expert disguise of glasses, skip cap and a hoodie.

Tony can't stand to look at you, averting his gaze as often as he could. But he hasn't called for anyone, yet. So that's a promising sign.

"I need to talk to you, and I really need you to listen Tony." You say, sheepishly.

Tony flares his nostrils giving you that Stark look of disappointment and slowly gets to his feet.
"Quicker than that if you don't mind. I don't want to get arrested."

Tony scoffs shaking his head in disgust, "Not here."

He leads you down a side corridor into a private room, it must have been for VIPs because there was a little balcony attached. Tony holds open the door for you to slip outside into the crisp air.

You both lean against the balustrade staring out onto the hospital grounds. The silence was thick and suffocating. But he hadn't called for anyone, yet.

"Was anyone hurt on team iron man?" You ask.

Tony shakes his head, pinching the bridge of his nose with his good arm. The other strapped up in a navy sling.

"No thanks to you." He hissed.

You inhale slowly, preparing for a difficult conversation, "Tony, I know I came to you and asked for your help. But after seeing Bucky in Wakanda, I knew I needed to bring HYDRA down."

Tony's head does a half turn, "And then what?"

"And then I accept whatever punishment you and your government deem necessary." You reach out to touch his arm reassuringly, "It was always the plan."

He pulls away and you turn to face him directly, "HYDRA are at the centre of this, whatever they done to Bucky—"

"It's an injustice." Tony interrupts. And it sparked hope in you.