Chapter 34 Steve & Agent Chloe Barton

Hitting the water, the icy blast pushed out by the adrenaline rush, you and Chloe separate swimming hard against the current, pulling yourself up on the stern of the ship you reach down yanking Chloe up with one arm.
Squeezing the water out of her braids she lets out a little shiver, her lips blue. Your eyes linger on them longer than you realise, your concentration broken as she tilts her head to the side, her eyes screwed together wondering what the hell you are doing.
Snapping back into Cap mode you hear the thud of the insurgents boots as they get closer.
"Get to the engine room, I'll deal with these guys." Assertively instructing her on her role.
She flashes the most intoxicating smile in your direction before saluting you mockingly "You got it boss!" And you quickly recall what a pain in your ass she is, she runs off before you can react, forcing you to talk over the comms,

You: "You are hilarious! Do you take anything seriously?"
Literally a massive pain in your ass, but you are addicted to her.
Just as you leap over a railing and get the jump on another 4 insurgents she claps back.
Chloe: "You're serious enough for the both of us Cap."
She cackles, you try not to, but a smile beams over you as you continue fighting, she always has a wise crack response.

You can hear Chloe's breathing over the comms as she fights her way to the engine room, your mind goes everywhere, racing, trying to focus on the task at hand, thinking about your next move, and worrying about her. Sometimes you wish she wasn't a part of the missions, but at the same time you want her with you at all times. Even if she is a thorn in your side.
A burly male approaches you violently and you bring him down with your shield, punching him, putting him on his ass, distracted with the fight you hear the familiar sound of a rifle cocking, ready to fire through your skull.
Before you can react the attacker is in a heap on the floor with a hole in his head, the crimson ring weeping.  Rumlow descends from the sky in a parachute, your saviour.
As he lands on the deck abandoning his parachute, he walks beside you "thanks," you greet him. Walking side by side ready to inspect the rest of the ship "No problem Cap," he slaps you on the shoulder, like a brother in arms "Barton got a boyfriend?" He asks bluntly, you are surprised but at the same time not, of course he would ask that, Chloe is infatuating, everyone wants her. Before you can even process the question and muster up an answer that doesn't make you sound like the over protective boyfriend that you certainly are NOT, but desperately want to be, Rumlow jumps in again "Can you put in a good word for me?" Absolutely not a hope in hell.
Natasha appears by your side, a knowing smile slapped across her face, having obviously overheard your conversation. Natasha Romanoff is the thorn in your other side, gruesome twosome.
A little moment of panic sends a shock in the pit of your stomach as you realise you haven't heard a peep from Chloe, Natasha must be in sync with you exchanging worried glances with her prompts Chloe, "Agent Barton, status report." Official terminology used for report procedure process incase the unthinkable has happened, incase she has been taken down. Radio silence. "Barton? Come in." What felt like 5 minutes was in reality only 10 seconds,

Chloe: "Nice of you to join us Romanoff." She pants sarcastically,
A wave of relief overcomes you, not realising that you were holding your breath you let out a sigh.

"What can I say, didn't want to get my hair wet." Natasha claps back flippantly, her voice playing a different part to her facial expression. She rolls her eyes at your clutches her chest and mouths 'thank god.'

Instantly jumping back into Captain mode you remind Chloe of her task "Barton, engine room!" Trying your hardest not to let the stress of thinking something had happened to her come across in your voice, so pushing for sounding irritated instead, which you are as well.

Chloe: "I told you, I'm on it!"
Always had a problem with authority.

Chloe

Does he honestly think that you have been sitting with a thumb up your ass? You've taken down at least 6 insurgents on your way to the engine room, and BY THE WAY CAP, you are NOT a fucking sailor nor are you in the fucking Navy so how the hell would you know where the room even is? What after the 60 second brief that the oaf Rumlow gave you. Sure okay, no problem.
Ah.  There it is, clearly sign posted 'Engine Room'.
Breaking in as quietly as possible, heart pounding, fucking suit chafing you are about to attack rather large male from behind,

Steve: "Whats your status Barton?"

The insurgent turns round as the noise of your knife being pulled from your holster alerts him.  He launches a punch at your face and you take it on the mouth, he smiles at you having landed the first hit, you crack your neck, spit some blood smiling back at him sinisterly.

Steve: "Barton?!" He repeats, irritation seeping through the comms.

FOR FUCK SAKE STEVEN!!

You: "Busy."
You say sweetly before throwing your knife into the neck of the asshole standing in front of you.  Before you can catch your breath your legs are swept from underneath you by another fucking giant European prick, you haven't even touched the ground before you are back up on his shoulders utilising the move that Nat showed you, choking him out and bringing him to the floor with an almighty thud. You spit more blood on the floor at the side of him, marginally pissed that no one was around to see you bring them down.  Thinking to yourself that you, one hundred percent could bring Steve down. No doubt about it.

You: "Engine room secured." Panting trying to come down from the adrenaline high.

Steve: "Good work."

You: "Romanoff, Thai or burgers?" You really hope she picks burgers, you really want something dirty and greasy.

Natasha: "Oooh, I can't decide...Steve?"
Christ, you know for a fact he'll pick hotdogs, he always picks hotdogs. Or he craves something boiled, which is fucking disgusting.
Such an old man.

Steve: "You guys are killing me."

Always so serious, but he loves it really. He loves the banter between the three of you.

You wish you could let him in, the way you let Loki in. Would he understand you? Would you be able to show him your true self, because it isn't always hungry, sarcastic filled with funny quips, you are battling your own demons every day. Its a hard uphill battle. Sometimes you could use a boost up, or a hand to give you a pull.