Chapter 36 Aunt Chloe

Pulling up at Clint's house unravels so many tangible feelings, you should just turn around and go back to New York, they aren't going to want you here.
Turning the key in the ignition ready to back up out of the drive, you let out an adonis sized sigh, and bang your head on the steering wheel causing the horn to fire accidentally announcing your arrival.
"FUCK!" Can't very well drive away now can you?
You check yourself out in the rear view mirror, putting some vaseline on your dry lips, and wipe away a flake of mascara from your cheek. You let another sigh ripple through your lips as you step out of the car.
You make the short walk up to the house, stopping at the bottom step of the porch, unsure if you can do this.  Can you be rejected again?
Laura hates you, you got her husband arrested, then you got him out and on house arrest. Why the hell would she accept you now, you must be out of your mind.
Having walked up the steps you are met with the front door, the last time you were here you slammed it in your brothers face, you try to knock, arm like lead unable to connect with the door. 
Ready to turn around and leave again the door swings open, Laura stands wide eyed, mouth hanging open. Time to go, you should leave.
"Chloe! Hi honey!" Does she sound cheery? "It's so good to see you!" Wait, either she is the best liar in the world or she is genuinely happy to see you. You feel tears building in back of your eyes, and a lump forming in your throat, shuffling your feet trying to think of what to say, not wanting to be a burden. 
Maybe you should leave.  Laura smiles at you kindly waiting for you to speak, she gestures for you to come inside, "sorry for barging in," you say as you walk over the threshold "Fury gave me some time off," your nerves building as you continue to explain why you have arrived unexpectedly "so I thought I would visit." You sound almost apologetic.
Trying your best to be on your best behaviour, remembering your manners and choosing your words very carefully.
Lauras smile stays firmly on her face as she tucks some of her brown glossy hair behind her ear, still heavily pregnant, you wonder when she is due. Glad you hadn't missed the announcement.
She wraps her arms around you, pressing her tummy into yours, you are taller than her so she stands on her tiptoes to give you a soft kiss on the cheek, taking you completely by surprise.
Now you are wide eyed and confused, a warm feeling spreads throughout your soul.
"Chloe, I'm just so happy you're here." Her eyes glisten with tears of joy.
"Honey! We have a visitor." Fuck. Shes announced you now. Theres no turning back now.
Last time you saw your brother he was telling you to stay away from his friends, and filling you with life advice.
"I hope its okay?" You ask apologising for showing up again.
You study her, her beautiful smile hasn't ran away once, a permanent fixture on her perfect face.
She laughs a little at your question, "of course it is sweetie!" She clasps her hands around yours and stares into your eyes, "you look great," touching your cheek with her soft dainty hand.
Your mouth twitches at the corner, you try to control it, not wanting to get your hopes up, just in case this is all an act.
Has Laura forgiven you? It feels like she has forgiven you, but you don't want to bank on it.

Someone grabs you from behind, embraces you and spins you before planting you back on the floor, its big brother. "Chlo! How are you?" He sounds delighted, you try to stop shaking, what are these feeling swirling round inside you?
Its Clint!
"I'm great!" You lie, trying mask the fact that just last night you were about 30 seconds from tracking down a dealer and scoring some street grade H.
Clint beams at you, everyone in the room smiling, eyes bright, sun shining through the blinds, everything is warm and comforting, yet somehow unsettling.
"I uh, wanted to see you guys." You continue, waiting for their smiles to fall, they have to fall.
Why are they still smiling?
Clint wraps his arm around Laura, how you wish someone would look at you the way he looks at her. Unconditionally loving her, sometimes when you are in bed you imagine an arm is wrapped around you, watching them makes you miss Loki's touch, making you sorrowful, because you know deep down it would never have worked with Loki, but he loved you and he held you. A little wave of realisation sweeps across you, Steve is classic case of right person wrong time.
You snap out of your mini daydream, "are the kids around? I brought them some gifts," you look across at Laura who has a panicked look creeping along her face "don't worry its all safe!" You wink at her reassuringly. 
Right away Clint shouts for them "kids! Aunt Chloe is here!" You let a smile escape, they have never referred to you as Aunt.
They come running down, the thump of excited footsteps warms your heart. They spin round the door frame, faces light up at the sight of you, happy to see you.
Lila the oldest runs to you wrapping her arms around your waist, giving you a tight squeeze, sending butterflies through you.
"I'm so grateful to you Chloe," he wraps his arms around his family, beaming with pride, "I wouldn't be here without you."
Tears building again, tears of happiness. 
"Don't mention it," and you really wish he wouldn't because it makes you feel uncomfortable, changing the subject quickly before the tears cascade down your face "come on kids, lets see whats in my bag huh?" You unzip your duffle bag spreading it so they can raid it for the goodies that you bought for them.

You turn your back to Laura and Clint, hiding the smile that you can't stop, they are happy to see you. A river of tears washes down your cheeks.
No one has ever been happy to see you.