Chapter 46 Steve Rogers

Chloe: Seriously Rogers, whats taking you so long?

You stand in the elevator looking down at the bodies of the unconscious men at least, you hope they are unconscious. Chloe's irksome voice rings in your ear.
Climbing over the heap of STRIKE agents, you prise open the elevator doors as the doors part you see the strategic movements of heavily armed and armoured STRIKE agents.
Shit.
Closing the doors back over you look out the window, trying to figure out your next move. At least Chloe is outside and safe, for now.
They are more focused on you. You clutch the USB device in the pocket of your suit, the heavy burden of it weighing you down.

Chloe: I'm thinking pizza or burgers, or both! I could eat both.

JESUS CHRIST CHLOE!
Always thinking of her stomach.
You pace back and forward anticipating your next move, heart pounding, trying your best to control your breathing. 
Trapped, feeling like the walls are closing in you decide to...

Chloe: Are you listening to me?

Fuck. What were you deciding? You've lost your train of thought. She always does this to you. 

Chloe: HELLO?! Come in Rogers.
Steve: Just a second!!

You instantly feel guilty for snapping at her, but does she ever shut the hell up?!

Where were you? Oh yeah. Pacing, you pace back and forth looking out of the glass walls of the elevator.
The STRIKE team are outside the doors, prising them open with a crow bar. Its now or never.

You turn away from the window, taking sharp inhales as you stand at the far side to build momentum.

Before your brain can process another thought you have crashed through the glass shield first, free falling through the air, shards of glass down-pouring from the sky.
Holding the shield over your head and face preparing for impact on the concrete jungle below.
Crashing through mezzanines hoping that no one is standing below. A guilt you would never be able to live with.
Hitting the ground with an almighty slap, shield serving its purpose well, glass surrounds you.
Stealing a moment to breathe through an ounce of pain whilst lying on the ground, you open your eyes to the sound of glass crunching below a pair of black boots standing in front of you.
"That was a tad dramatic, don't you think?" Chloe stands nonchalantly, hand on hip in front of you. Her tone is sarcastic, but the expression on her face is worrisome.
She offers her hand out to help you up, groaning as you push through the stiffness of your muscles, as they have seized after the fall.
"Yeah, I know, I know."  You take her hand allowing her to pull you up.
A crowd has gathered gawping at Captain Americas dramatic exit.
You and Chloe need to get out of here, and fast.
Chloe sweeps glass from your suit, licking her thumb she wipes some blood from a cut on your face, for a millisecond your heart does a somersault, you are snapped back to the reality, not able to enjoy her escape of softness.
She looks up at you cupping your face "What the fuck happened?"
You sigh, as the adrenaline begins to slow "Rumlow attacked me in the elevator." Panting, you gesture to the SHIELD exit gate, she nods as you both run towards it.
"Who won?" She shouts to you, trying her best to contain a chortle.
You flash her an infuriated look.
You reach the gate, out of nowhere Chloe pulls out a car key, opening a black sedan. 
Where the hell... You don't want to know. Don't ask.
You get in the passenger seat of the car, Chloe drives under a tunnel at the far side of the entrance to the SHIELD complex.
"Get down!!" She shouts to you and you both crouch inside the car.
A convoy of black SUVs speed past. Driving right by you.
"Lose the suit." She tosses you a bag with grey sweats and a black t-shirt, both a little small, but definitely less obvious than the Captain America get up.
"Where did you get this Chlo?" You decide now is the time for answers, just in case she hasn't completely thought this through.
"Well, while I was stood outside waiting on your dramatic ass, I broke into Clint's locker and found this stuff. Figured we might need it." She winks at you.
You don't give her enough credit, no one does. Chloe Barton is the most underestimated person you know.

"Rumlow asked me out y'know? It was so fucking gross." She shudders, parking up under a bridge at the quiet side of the river.
She turns away as you begin to change, "Uh Chloe, my shoulders dislocated."
"Oh!  What can I do?" She asks sympathetically, brows furrowed.
"I...uh...I need you to pop it back in." You bow your head shamefully.
Chloe slides across the cab, sitting on your lap, legs either side.
"Okay..." she speaks softly
"On three..."
"One..."

"FUCK!!!"

She pops your shoulder back into place, so much for three!
Taking a sharp inhale you look into her eyes, a little tear has formed in the corner of one.
Chloe smiles gently at you "I'm sorry."
You hold her gaze for a moment, nodding to let her know that its okay.
Something about her in this moment screams for you to kiss her, but you don't.
Just as you are about to clear your throat she lunges her face forward, crashing her lips to yours.
Without hesitation you accept her, pulling her in, your tongues meet smoothing over each other. You bite her bottom lip as the kiss comes to an end, a little moan of delight escapes from Chloe's mouth.
You prepare yourself for the awkwardness that will be sure to follow.

Before you can open your eyes and accept the uncertainty, Chloe falls into your bare chest...