Chapter 87 Steve Rogers

A/N: Thank you for sticking with this story! If you can drop a vote and some feedback ✌️♥️

"Buck! I got it..." Chloe saunters into the apartment locking the door behind her, tucking the key in her back pocket, "I got two just incase you change your-" she looks up at you her eyes widen, lips parted in shock.
Her face drains of all colour as she takes place next to Bucky, covering him slightly. Almost as though she is shielding him.
"We uh...we have company." Bucky whispers guiltily to her, she rolls her eyes at him.
You are trying to catch your breath, shes alive. All this time she was here with Bucky.
Tony was right.
Fuck.
"Steve..." Chloe takes a hesitant step towards you, you can hear her heart pounding deeply in her chest.
The short burst of relief that she was alive has dissipated and now all you feel is betrayed.
You did everything you could not to mourn her, to cling onto the hope that she was alive.
Spending every night staring at the ceiling trying to factor different scenarios, never letting yourself free of the guilt. She was here the whole time.

"So this is where you've been?" You stare coldly at her, studying her slender frame unable to make eye contact with her.
She inhales sharply trying to find her words, "I...uh..." she stammers trying to come up with excuses.
She pouts her lips, and for a solitary second you want to lift her into your arms and kiss them.
But you are too hurt.
You feel the sting of bitter tears cornering your eyes.
"Yes." She huffs out, her own eyes opening up flood gates.
Struggling to find words amongst the pain and betrayal, "I see." Is all your bruised ego manages to let you say.
Bucky steps forward overtaking Chloe he rests his human hand on her arm, "she needed help." He tries to diffuse the tension, but she shrugs him off almost scowling at his touch.
"I needed to get clean Steve. Buck, James...he helped me." Her face loses all expression as she attempts to get closer to you again.
You don't even know what to say. Are they in a relationship?
"We helped each other." A soft smile flickers in the corner of Bucky's mouth.
Chloe sighs, out of the corner of her mouth she whispers; "sweet but not helpful."
You watch as she fumbles around in her backpack, "I asked him, I needed to get away Steve." She drops the bag, falling to her knees she begins frantically searching while rambling on.
"She was leaving tomorrow, to come back to you." Bucky continues as Chloe empties the contents of the bag onto the floor.
So they aren't in a relationship?
But she lied.
"Tony was right." You scoff turning around to push back your tears, saying it out loud only made it hurt mor, turning back round to catch Chloe as she looks up through her big blue eyes, "Tony?" her brow furrows remembering that she left more than just you behind.
"Clint identified a body yesterday, do you understand that?" You voice grows louder and more livid as you spit your words at her.
She clutches her chest and falls from her crouched position to her knees.
She retches forward wrapping her arms around herself, "Clint." She sobs through a groan.
"And I," you bang your chest trying to keep your composure while you fall apart inside, "I blamed myself for losing you, for pushing you away." You try not to let the pained tears run down your face but you can't hold on to them any longer, "you were just looking for an excuse to leave me." A small whimper ripples through your lips.
Chloe scrambles to her feet, "Steve, please listen..." she crawls forward her eyes reddened and she tries to catch her breath through her emotion, "I'm sorry." She bursts through a river of tears.
"Sorry, always fucking sorry." You seethe at her.
Chloe stumbles trying to get to her feet, to make her way to you, you step backwards.
You can't look at her any more.
Feeling sick to your stomach you storm out of the apartment.
Chloe is alive, but your love for her...well that remains to be seen.