Chapter 73 Sam Wilson

Written by TalesFromTheNetwork

Please follow her account for AMAZING. Stories.

You sit absentmindedly scrolling through your phone.  Waiting.  The battle with the Winter Soldier has resulted in Steve being pretty much comatose for the past twenty four hours.  Worried useless doesn't even begin to cover how you currently feel.  The beeps and whirs of machines the only sounds in the room save for his raspy breaths.  The phone vibrates in your hand 'still nothing' the message from Nat reads, your heart sinks further.  'Is he awake?' Pings straight after.  How has it come to this?  You were just a volunteer at the VA, you'd done your fighting.  How were you so wrapped up in this bullshit?

"Sam" comes the groggy voice from the bed, snapping you out of your thoughts.  Masking your face, hoping not to convey the dread you're feeling.  You know he has to find out about Chloe, but it's okay to keep him sheltered from it for a bit...isn't it?  Keep him content a little longer?  "You scared us for a minute there buddy."  You give him a half smile, "How you feelin?" Smart move Sam, ask the man, the super soldier who's just been beaten half to death by his own brother no less, how he's feeling. You shake your head, trying to focus.  "Chloe?" Steves voice sounds hopeful with just a dash of doubt.  You can't bare to look at him, glancing back to your phone and texting Nat to let her know he's awake.  Feeling his eyes boring into your skull, you keep your head down.  Anything to avoid that stare.  "Bucky's gone. No trace of him."  Comes your mumbled change of subject.  "What about Chloe?!" Steve snaps, his patience thinning.  You finally look up, noting the tiny creases at his eyes, the furrow of his brow as he tries to hide the pain the exertion has caused him.

It's been 24 hours since you found him at the side of the river, soaked in blood and water.  Longer still since any of you have seen Chloe alive.  How do you tell him?  How do you break the news to the already broken man that his girlfriend is probably dead?  That shes most likely at the bottom of the Hudson giving life to aquatic animals.  You squeeze your eyes against the sting of guilt ridden tears.  Hastily getting up and walking to the door. "I...um...I'll go get the doctor."  You stutter, fumbling with the door handle.  "CUT THE SHIT SAM! WHERE IS CHLOE!?!?" He roars, trying to sit up but slumping back down when the pain is too much.  His breathing ragged and uneven.  You turn, resigning yourself to being the bearer of bad news.  He deserves the truth.

Closing your eyes as you settle yourself back in the seat, willing the lump in your throat and the bile thats silently making its way up to calm.  He's the one that gets to break down, he's the one thats entitled to feel all the emotions.  Not you, you barely knew her. But she was still your friend wasn't she?  She was the one that could calm you all in any situation with her quick wit.  She was young, so young. Barely lived any sort of life. Every little chance she was given was ripped from her.
You inhale slowly and deeply.  "Sam, please."  It's barely a sound, and its so full of fear and despair.  You turn and look at him, forcing yourself to meet his eyes.  You've given up fighting the silent tears that spill from you.  "They're still searching the water.  They think she got pulled under by the current."  You watch as his eyes widen in shock, fear, something of a mixture of both.  "I'm...I...sorry man."

Silence fills the room once more, it feels heavier than before; more physical.  You wring your hands together, angrily getting up once more and begin pacing.  Anything to avoid looking at him, to escape the view of his world breaking.  "Wh..What? Chloe...she's what?" His confusion mixed with anger.  "No it's not true.  She can't be.  Sam it's not funny where is she?"  You stare out the window.  Trying to give him the time to comprehend the information you've just buried him in.  "Sam would you look at me. Where the hell is Chloe?"  "Answer me...please." He begs.  You kick the waste paper basket at your feet, sending it ricochetting across the room.  A petite nurse rushes in to check on all the noise.  "LEAVE" Steve screams at her,  she blanches and backs out of the room slowly, closing the door with a snap.  You whirl around towards him, shaking your head.  That poor girl didn't deserve that.  But then again none of you deserved what you'd been put through recently.  The world didn't deserve what HYDRA, the Winter Soldier had put it through. 

"Sam for the love of god just tell me, where is Chloe?" Desperation bleeding from his voice.  You look him dead in the eyes, he needs to hear you, to understand. 

"She's gone man, I'm sorry but Chloe is gone."