Chapter 130 Chloe Barton

It was even colder than you had anticipated.  You thought hiding in the cargo hold of a jet was the coldest place you had ever been but this was definitely worse. It was on the tip of your tongue to mention it to Bucky, but for the first time in your life you decided to think before you spoke.  You were in such a good place with Steve, despite the being on the run shit.  You didn't want to dredge up old sour feelings by mentioning the time you spent gone with Bucky.

In short, Serbia was fucking cold. And you are fucking nervous. 

Steve leads you into the bunker, fully suited and looking ferociously handsome.

The three of you stand in the elevator, the super soldiers taking up a fair amount of space with their giant shoulders and muscles.  You never felt small, because you were tall for a female, but standing between these two made you feel it.

"Does any one have any gum?" You ask, trying to break the tension.

Steve and Bucky shift their eyes to you, a hint of irritation in their scornful gazes. 

"Maybe some bourbon? Anything really. Just to take the edge off things,"  The elevator shudders, halting before the doors part, "You know what, nevermind." You sigh.

Bucky leads you and Steve down a damp, dimly lit corridor, "I hope you remember where you're going." You swallow a nervous lump.

Why was no one else talking? Weren't they as nervous as you?  Couldn't they just humour you?

A loud clanking and cranking comes from behind metal doors behind you, Steve throws you behind his shield while Bucky raises his gun up ready to engage.

"I've changed my mind." You grit against Steve's body, terrified of what is about to emerge.  

It's no surprise to any one that since Lagos, you have changed.  You're just not quite as brave as you used to be.  Maybe brave is the wrong word, not quite as reckless as you used to be.

"Does she always talk this much during missions?" Bucky sighs irritated, waiting to see what threat is about to burst through the doors.

The steel parts, bright white lights shine through and out of them appears the bright red and gold suit.  It was Tony.

"I can confirm that she talks too much during missions." Tony quips.

Steve drops his shield cautiously, still not fully trusting Tony.  It was evident in the way Tony was moving that he didn't entirely trust Steve either, and who could blame them.

"Comfortable ladies?" He snorts, his helmet disappearing.  "Lets get this over with shall we?"

You come out from behind Steve's shield and step towards Tony, "Thanks for trusting us." You say.

Holding his hands up Tony scoffs, "No." He replies bluntly, "There is no 'us'.  I trust you Barton, you're the only reason I'm here." 

That hurt, you're not sure why it hurt so much.  You hated to think that your actions had caused friends to fall out, but it was the reality.  But this would fix it. You would bring HYDRA down as a team and re build those bridges.

"This way." Bucky breaks the silence, leading you all in to a large room.  Around the sides were human sized canisters, "Cryofreeze cylinders." Bucky told you.

"My god." You gasp, covering your mouth, there were bodies in them.  Each one with a bullet hole in the head.  A slow tear falls down your cheek. 

Bucky steps in beside you, "Bucky, these poor people." You sob.

Stark realisation hits Bucky, "They were making more soldiers." 

Tony shakes his head, "Fuckers." He grits.  You can tell he is beginning to realise the gravity of the situation, and that the government had used him.

"Looks like they shut it down, and quickly." Steve adds, lifting empty boxes labelled TOP SECRET.

You glance around the bunker breathing in the smell of bullets and petrol "And recently." 

"HYDRA murdered these poor people." You walk around looking for any identification on the bodies.

Steve walks to a computer set up in the middle of the room, strategically placed, like they were expecting you.  "Careful." You caution. 

You stand by his side, Tony just over your shoulder while Bucky hangs back not wanting to get too close.  He always kept his distance.

You draw in a long, deep, panicked breath, "Steve, the last time we were in an underground bunker looking a computer we got blew the fuck up." 

Steve presses the power button on the screen while you scrunch your eyes up, you hadn't realised you were gripping Tony's armour until he moved his arm.

"That's my dad-" He says taking his arm back, taking a step closer to the screen.

You snap your eyes open...

CCTV footage shows a car crash, Tony's father lying on the ground.  You swallow a surge of vomit as the unmistakable soldier with a metal arm jumps from a motorcycle.  Without hesitation he pummels his fists into Howard Starks skull.  He then reaches into the passenger seat of the car and strangles Maria Stark to death.

"Turn it off," You weep. Turning to Tony, not know what to say.  You touch his cheek, ready to come to Bucky's defence. But Tony pushes you away.

"Steve?" You whisper, "Bucky?" You say when Steve ignores you.  Bucky looks down at the ground full of shame and regret.

Tony's breath hitches, a rage filled gaze shooting at Steve, "Did you know?"

"I didn't know it was him." Steve replies quickly.

"Don't bullshit me Rogers, did you know?"

You step between them, "Of course he didn't know. Tell him Steve, tell him you didn't know."

Steve doesn't reply right away this time, you stomach folds in on itself.

"You didn't know Steve, right?" You ask once more.

Steve glances quickly down at you then back to Tony, "Yes." 

Tony shoves you away, pushing Steve aside.  He falls backwards.  

Betrayal crippling him.  His beautiful brown eyes falling into darkness. 

You gasp in horror, "No, Steve. No."  You feeling that second-hand betrayal too.

Tony raises his hand blasting Steve across the room...