Chapter 17 Chloe Elouise Barton

As you are launched into the air and crash through the window, your first thought is hoping that the team had time to close the portal. If it is closed, then aat least your pathetic life would have amounted to something.  The second thought is your brother, how you wish you could have been a better sister for him, you wished he could have had a normal job, which would have allowed him to have a normal life.  You feel sympathy for yourself, you wish that you had a normal life too.
The pain intensifies as shards of glass embed them selves into your back, you don't make a sound, this is how your short life ends.
You do wish you had kissed Steve again, wishing that you had spent more time with him in bed, cuddled longer, had breakfast together like they do in movies, craving the scent of him.
You wished that you weren't such a disaster, that you were a nice girl, one without issues.
Tears fall from your eyes, not only because of the cold air, but because you long for another chance. A chance to prove that you are more than your past, that you are worthy. Maybe one day someone would love you, unconditionally, and that you would allow them.

The air flows into your lungs, euphoric like heroin swimming through your blood, you imagine drowning, drowning always seemed like a peaceful way to die.

The ground is becoming increasingly closer.

Closing your eyes you breathe in what you imagine will be your last breath before the ground obliterates you, all of a sudden, just as you were accepting your fate you feel a huge surge push you towards a building, you open your eyes frantic, and see that you are draped over a colossal green arm. Dr Banner, rather The Hulk broke your fall, relief sweeps throughout your entire body.
He bounces from building to building until he reaches the ground, every shudder, every jolt sending searing pain through your back and side. Desperate to scream out, you grit your teeth and close your eyes trying to imagine being somewhere else.

You must have fallen unconscious for a moment, because you are awoken with an almighty, earth shattering roar. You open your eyes and see Steve looking panicked, with tears forming. A torturing pain in your back, and excruciating one in your abdomen overcomes you, looking down you see Steves hand pressing harshly on your stab wound.
Turning your head, looking at the team gathered around you, each face more grimaced than the next.

"That prick stabbed me," you gasp "The Loki, the dick...he stabbed me!" You breathing becoming fast and shaky.
Thor looks down at you, hair tucked behind his ears and scratches on his face, he takes a knee next to you and brushes some hair away from your face and says "he has been known to do that," softly. You let out a weak laugh, coughing as the pain intensifies.
Shit! If they are all crowding around you, then who is fighting the Chituari? Had you given them enough time to close the portal?
"Why are you guys standing with your thumbs up your asses?" Trying to get up to help, you wince, Steve puts his hands on your shoulders, pushing you back down "Chloe, its done.  Tony is clearing up stragglers."
You stare into his ocean blue eyes, "We did it?" You let out a ragged but relived sigh.
Smiling he replies "You did it."
As your body relaxes, the pain ripples through you. Reaching up you grab Steves suit "My back Steve, theres glass in my back." He rolls you onto your side at a slight angle to take the pressure off your back while keeping pressure where The Loki's sceptre tore into you.
Steve rips part of the sleeve of his suit and uses it to pack the wound, you are screaming out in pain he tries to keep you calm, shushing you, "I know, I'm sorry..." he wipes away a tear from his face, and then one from yours.
You look up at him, you can feel yourself starting to fall for him, he is a good man, he would give you a good life, you just wish it was what you wanted right now. You wish you had known him when you were teenagers, imagining what you would have been like together as childhood sweethearts. A small smile sweeps across your face, the pleasant thoughts acting as pain relief.
Steve smiles "We'll get you to the hospital."
You start to breathe hard, fast, unable to get words out, paralysing panic taking over your body.
"Chloe, don't panic,"
"NO!" Is all you are able to force out
He looks at you confused. Natasha shrugs her shoulders at Thor who is also sporting a bewildered look on his face. You need to calm down, you need to be able to explain.
"No hospitals Steve, no drugs!"
His brows snapped together and his jaw clenched sympathetically as the penny drops. Natasha let out a small gasp and clamped her hand across her mouth, fighting back tears.
Scrunching your face in anguish you look away from him to hide the tears falling from your eyes, fighting hard to keep your voice calm and disguise the sobbing "they will give me drugs Steve, and I can't. Just patch me up here, please."
He lets out a huge frustrated sigh " I'm not gonna do that Chloe,"
Frantic you yell at him "Don't be a fucking pussy Steve, patch me up!!!" You let out a blood curdling scream, you can't take much more.
Feeling light headed your eyes heavy, beginning to drift in and out of consciousness, you pull Steve close to you again, tears rolling from your eyes and filling your ears "I'm begging you Steve, no drugs."
He lifts you gently, carrying you through the turmoiled streets, you open your eyes to see him pressing his lips together, his eyes glossy.
"Please Steve," you whisper, "no drugs." You fall completely unconscious.

Steve
Carrying Chloe's limp body to the Quinjet, you down at her face, dirty.  Yet where the tears had run little rivers, they leave parts of her skin look untouched.

Natasha follows, holding back sobs.

Seeing Chloe so vulnerable, hearing the anguish in her voice, terrified about the possibility of drugs, clinging to her sobriety, was the hardest thing you have ever witnessed. You will not go back on your word. 
Kissing her forehead, you whisper "I promise."