Chapter 4 Chloe

The warm spray of the shower batters down onto your back, as you stand underneath savouring the luxury of the heat and pressure. Prison showers are either tepid or freezing cold. For a split second you miss it, the familiarity, the isolation, the penance of prison. You spot an unopened pack of female razors, also a luxury, you take one out and lather up your legs and shave. Little luxuries like these bring you back to reality and you no longer miss prison, for that moment. 

You step out of the shower and catch sight of yourself in the bathroom mirror, you stand studying your naked body, acknowledging the changes for the first time. Its easy to get lost in time when you are locked up. Working out every day definitely paid off, you think as you turn round and look over your shoulder at your bottom.

After drying yourself you get dressed into some black sweats that Laura must have left laid out on the guest bed, you make your way to the staircase, where you hear Clint and Laura in a heated argument. Sitting down on the wooden stair case, trying not make the steps creak, you listen. Its not eavesdropping if the conversation is about you, right?
"I know she is your sister Clint, but she is also a junkie, I have to think about the kids" your heart sinks into your stomach, here we go.

"That is a bit dramatic Laura, she was a junkie. If Chloe says she's clean, then I believe her!" At least he is trying to stick up for you
You hear the sound of a plate or dish being slammed onto the counter, it makes you jump,

"No Clint, no." Well thats that. Jumping up at the sound of heavy footsteps approaching you choke back tears, knowing eventually the tears will come and they wont stop.
Clint stands at the bottom of the stairs knowing that you heard everything, he looks at you with big sad blue eyes, your eyes, and lets out a heavy sigh,

"I'm so sorry Chlo— he hasn't called you 'Chlo' since before you went to prison, he's trying to soften the blow — you can't stay here." He does look genuinely sorry.
He continues looking ashamed "I've arranged with Stark for you to live at Avengers tower with them, I hope that's okay with you."
You don't have a choice.
"Thats cool." You reply bluntly, stepping down another stair, heart pounding and tears forming as you try not to blink.
Clint places his hand on-top of yours which is gripping the banister, he takes a deep breath
"You burned a lot of bridges Chloe, you know that?" A statement that absolutely cut you to the bone, you do your best to not let it show.
"Yeah, I know" because you do, you understand. You've had 5 long years to think about it. "But Clint, I went into prison when I was 16, I was a child, not much older than Lila. I get it though, I really do. 'Forgive, don't forget'." You reply dryly.

He looks at you, guilt sprayed across his face once again.
He rubs his hands all over face and through his hair, stressed "I don't know what you want me to do Chloe" he has a smidge of anger in his voice, this riles you.
He has no right to be angry with you, who does he think he is talking to like that. Your body begins to heat up as the rage builds inside you.
"I wanted you to fucking fight for me!" You step off the last step and stare up into your big brothers eyes, noticing beads of sweat forming on his brow. He places his large hands on either side of your face, cradling it, opens his mouth and says "that isn't fair."

The red mist of rage that was building, takes over and you unleash the words you had been holding back,
"You know what wasn't fair, you off protecting god knows who, and me... your baby sister was left to fend for herself. Fought all my own battles since I was 14, didn't need you then, don't need you now." You crouch down, grab your small bag and head towards the front door, grabbing Clint's keys off the side table you turn back round to him, he looks like he has had all the air punched out of him,

"Goodbye Agent Barton, oh thats right, it's Hawkeye now."

You walk out the door, still holding back your tears, proud at yourself for managing to hold it together, barely.
You flinch at the bang of the door being punched, as your brother roars "FUCK!!" from behind it.

Jumping into his piece of shit truck, you put the keys into the ignition and speed off as fast as you can, doing everything you can not to look at yourself in the rear view mirror.