Chapter 91 Chloe Barton

"STARK!" You roar storming into his lab not caring that the whole team are in a meeting.
You feel slightly snubbed that you hadn't been called but you shrug it off, you left after all.
Tony spins round his hands held up in mocking surrender.
"What can I do for you Courtney Love?" He sneers slipping behind a computer screen.
"Very funny...you're gonna run out of junkie jokes soon, prick." You place yourself in front of the screen blocking his view.
"Let him out Tony, he's harmless now. Please." You bat your eyes trying to convince him. Hopefully sparking his better nature.
He has a heart, you've seen it.
"Its not up for discussion Chlo, he absolutely poses a threat." He shoves you out of the way and continues working.
You look around the room for help from the others, Nat avoids your gaze, Banner sheepishly shuffles as he pretends to work on some scientific shit.
Thor turns his back to you tossing his hammer back and forth.
"GUYS! Hear me out...I spent time with him all he needs is some help, someone to believe in him. Not to be caged up like a fucking animal!" Slamming your fist down on a metal tray sending an soldering iron across the room.
Steve catches it mid air and places it down, "He could be an asset to this team. You have to understand that HYDRA warped his mind." His voice is frantic as he struggles to get every one to listen to us.
He agrees with you, perhaps you're being let off the hook.
You offer him a soft, thankful smile but it goes un noticed as he refuses to acknowledge your existence.
Clint rolls his eyes, "No offence Cap, but you are just repeating everything Chloe's said." You dig your elbow into his side, "stop." You hiss.
The last thing you need is for Clint to make this any worse.
You want Steve to forgive you.
Steve looks down sheepishly, "Tony, I just think a little forgiveness is all thats required here. Buck...it wasn't him.  He wasn't in his right mind." Words usually come easy to Steve but hearing him struggle to find the right ones and the crack in his voice, it brought bitter stinging tears to your eyes.
Tears that you have fought hard to push back, but you are too weak now. You well up, wishing that you could go back to the beginning and fix all of this.
But how would you ever?
Clint barges past you in a rage knocking you to the side, Thor grabs your frame steadying you.
"Are you actually preaching forgiveness Cap?" Clint squares up to Steve.
Fucking hell.
Every one here knows he doesn't stand a chance, hell even Clint knows. But its also clear to everyone that he has something to get off his chest.
Steve puffs out his chest, "whats that supposed to mean?" He flicks his chin, rearing his head down to meet your brothers angered gaze.
You sigh heavily reaching for Tony's bourbon stash pouring some into one of Banners beakers, "well this has turned out to be a fucking nightmare. Leave it Clint." You throw back the drink enjoying the burn of the hot liquid as it slides smoothly down your throat.
You fill up your glass again, "drink?" You offer it out to anyone who makes eye contact.
Nat steps in font of Steve and Clint pushing them apart, "he has a point Steve." She fold her arms across her chest sneering at him.
"You're damn right I do." Clint shouts over her, spitting the words like fire.
You continue to drink, giving up on the beaker and pass the bottle to Thor who takes a huge swig before handing it back to you to finish off.
Tony steps forward guiding Nat out of the way, "you keep talking forgiveness Cap, yet you have kept Lindsey Lohan here in the doghouse for over a week."
Steve scoffs turning away from his peers as they start to gang up on him. You never realised how strongly they all felt about you, you had just assumed that they were mad at you for disappearing and hurting Steve, but here they were...on your side.
You felt bad for Steve though, you could see the hurt in his eyes.
You never meant for it to end up like this.
Steves shoulders slump in defeat, "thats different." He stutters shamefully.
This is awful, he doesn't deserve to feel this way.
You throw the bottle directly into the trash, commanding the middle of the room, "Well this has escalated quickly. Listen guys, if Steve wants to punish me I can take it, I deserve it." You flick your eyes to meet his but only for less than a second.
He stands in front of you inches away, what you wouldn't give to touch him, to smell him just one more time.
You feel a pang of hope as he steps towards you a little, "Bucky is different, he didn't have a choice." The old wounds that make up your heart begin to crack open, "Chloe, you did. And you chose to leave." His final words rubbing salt into the gaping sores.

Unable to speak through the bubbling rage that builds inside, you storm off. The tears that you had fought so hard against now pouring down your cheeks. You wait until you hear the door close behind you before letting go of your sobs.

The door swings open, "we're not fucking finished Rogers." Clint slips through the gap lifting you off the floor.
"You don't deserve any of that shit." He growls pulling you into a tight embrace.