60) Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times

Warnings: very slight mentions of Carrows and their punishments, other than that nothing

Fred's POV

Autumn weather slowly morphed into winter. And before any of us knew it, Christmas arrived. It felt like everything but holiday. Things were getting worse day by day. The Death Eaters grew stronger while the Order grew weaker. Kingsley was on the run. Tonks was pregnant and Remus was spending as much time with her as he could to redeem for the fact that he ran away. Y/n and dad had to constantly worry while on work. And there was no word from the trio either.

Mum called us all to the Burrow for Christmas dinner. Bill and Fleur had to decline her, saying that they want to spend Christmas on their own. She was beyond worried about everybody. Her head would snap towards our family clock every minute while we waited for dad and Y/n to return from work. Even though their shifts aren't over yet. All hands of the clock were showing mortal peril. Y/n and dad were called to the Ministry today around noon and we had no idea why. But we hope they were okay. They'd sent us patronus of something was wrong.

"Mum, they'll be here on time." George said gently.

"Oh, but didn't they say they'll try to come earlier?" Mum asked, pouring George, Lee, Ginny and I some tea.

"I think they said there's no way they can manage to return before the end of the shifts." I said.

"It's Christmas. They shouldn't be working today anyway." Mum argued.

"I agree with that. But unfortunately, nothing is normal now, Mrs. Weasley." Lee took sip of warm tea.

"Call me Molly, dear." Mum patted his shoulder in motherly way.

"Right, sorry." Lee nodded.

I turned to Ginny when mum left the kitchen. "How bad it is in school?"

"A Death Eater that killed Dumbledore is a Headmaster now and two other Death Eaters are our professors. Take a guess how it is."

"Did they hurt you?" George and I asked in the same time.

"They punish anyone who breaks rules."

"Just tell me one thing; what the fuck were you three thinking when you tried to steal the sword of Gryffindor?" I asked lowly.

"Don't you dare try to give me a lesson about it." Ginny pointed her index finger at me. She looked very much like mum. "You four would do some stupid thing like that as well in my place."

"It's not the same!" George argued.

"It is!"

"It's not!"

"It is!"

"What is going on here?" Mum looked between Ginny, George and I. None of us said anything. She looked at Lee, expecting explanation.

Lee was drinking his tea and choked on it when he caught mum's interrogating gaze. He coughed violently. "Yes?" He asked sacredly when coughing stopped. Ginny and I tried to hold in our laughers and George kicked us under the table.

"What did they do this time?"

"For the first time in their lives, probably, they did nothing wrong." Lee answered and received a glare form Ginny. "Well not entirely wrong." He corrected himself.

Mum wanted to say something else but George cut her off. "Unless my watch is broken; dad and Y/n should be here any moment."

Mum turned her attention to the old clock. The hands haven't moved yet. Mum was anxiously biting her nails while we waited. Her eyes darting from clock to the window. After what felt like hours hands finally move to traveling. Seconds later they were back on mortal peril.