41. BEAUTIFULLY UNFINISHED

Taehyung couldn't even register how long he was standing still, holding a small box in his hand

Taehyung couldn't even register how long he was standing still, holding a small box in his hand. He was unable to move. He had the impression that he was holding in his hands all his fears and worries, materialized in the form of two small, shiny rings. He didn't know, even when his right hand grasped one of the wedding rings in his fingers. He carefully pulled out the smaller one, the one that was certainly not meant for him.

As he held it in his fingers he thought the jewelry was burning his skin, causing him pain, but he knew very well that it was actually something else that hurt him — a sudden feeling that he had already lost him, though perhaps he had never really belonged to him...

He twirled the wedding ring carefully in his fingers, feeling his throat tighten with every passing second. When he saw the engraved inscription inside, he inhaled loudly, struggling to hold back a sob that pressed against his emotionally quivering lips.

"Forever Yours"

A promise of eternal love that Jeongguk was going to make to someone else.

With a trembling hand, he began to place the wedding ring back on the black pillow when suddenly, behind him, he heard the soft patter of bare feet hitting the wooden panels. But before he could do anything else, that beautiful, slightly drowsy voice crept into his ears, which made his heart squeeze again painfully.

"Tae, why are you awake?" Gguk asked, leaning his hip against the door frame leading to the bedroom. "It's still early. Come to bed..." he added, running a hand through his sleep-disheveled hair.

Taehyung turned instinctively towards him. Jeongguk looked too sexy to even describe it. The young CEO now wore only one of his sweatpants with a red dragon on his right thigh. Black cotton fabric framed his narrow hips, hiding that damn sexy V-shaped line that he loved to run his tongue over. The boy was standing on the bedroom threshold, nonchalantly leaning against the door frame. He smiled gently at him, his soft lips curving into a beautiful, lazy smile. His eyes, still slightly asleep, sparkled vividly. The locks of dark hair were still curled from yesterday's rain, but it only made him look even sexier. Looking at him, he wanted to reach out and run his fingers over the almost jet-black strands, and after a while, pulling them, pull him towards him and place a tender kiss on his lips.

But Kim hadn't flinched, so painfully aware of the weight of the little box that was still in his hand. He parted his lips to say something, but before any words left his lips, he realized that the young CEO was no longer looking at him. His dark irises were now fixed on his slender, tattooed hands that still held the black velvet box. At the sight of what was in his hands, the man's body immediately tensed, and his strong back tensed like a string.

"I didn't rummage in your things..." Kim gasped, quickly moistening his lips with his tongue. He felt as if his body was beginning to tremble involuntarily from the panic overwhelming him. He didn't know what to do, but it was too late now to pretend nothing had happened. "It's just... I wanted to clean your clothes from the floor, and when I picked up your suit jacket... It must have fallen out of one of the pockets..." he explained quickly, nervously feeling his suit jacket in search of a pocket, to put the box with the rings back into it as soon as possible, as if this could make them disappear forever and make everything be alright again.