45. WHATEVER HAPPENS

"We need to talk

"We need to talk..." the man said, looking him straight in the eyes.

Taehyung snorted involuntarily, unable to believe the man's audacity and all the absurdity of the situation. Jeongguk's brother was one of the reasons why the young CEO and him broke up, and now he tells him without the slightest embarrassment that he has been waiting for a week for him to show up here to trap him and his child, like a tiger corners a defenseless prey.

"I have nothing to talk about with you," he answered firmly, trying not to let him see that his visit had upset him.

He spun on his heel and started forward, Jae still in his arms. He didn't know why, but at the sight of the man he felt an almost irrational fear that someone might want to take his son from him, so he almost involuntarily scooped him into his arms. He tightened his hands tightly around the little body of his son and quickened his pace, wanting to get away as soon as possible.

"Please, I just wanted to ask you one question..." Jeon encouraged, taking a few springy steps towards him to close the distance between them again.

Taehyung stopped and looked at him again. He pressed his lips together, pressing them into a narrow line, but said nothing, just looked at the man with the hard onyx irises. He didn't want to talk to him. He felt his anger rise at the very thought of what Jeongguk had told him. He wanted to shout straight into his handsome face what he really thought of him, how much he despised him for what he told the man he loved, and how much he hated him for helping break their relationship.

"Perhaps I will spare us both time and nerves," he suggested after a moment, knowing well what the man wanted to talk to him about. He could have expected it as soon as he saw him. "No. I didn't steal that flash drive," that said, he turned on his heel again and started walking, quickening his pace.

He had no intention of explaining himself to this man. If he wants, he can send the police on him. They won't find anything to link him to the theft of that flash drive. He didn't give a shit about their money. All he wanted was something that no money in this lousy world could buy. He involuntarily tightened his fingers around his son, pressing his little body against his chest, and again quickened his pace.

"Do you love him?!" Jeon called after him, and at the words Taehyung slowed his pace involuntarily. His heart began to beat so hard as if it was about to pop out of his chest. But he didn't dare to turn around and meet his eyes. "Do you love my brother?" The man repeated, and for a brief moment he couldn't breathe.

He couldn't explain it, but when he heard that question, something arose in his heart that he had not felt in a long time ― hope.

He paused, clearly struggling with his emotions. Perhaps the man a few years older than him was merely trying to trick him. Maybe it was the way he wanted to stop him, only to trample him and destroy him after a while, as if he were just a disgusting bug that needed to be disposed of quickly. Perhaps he shouldn't have stopped, he should have just walked away from here as quickly as possible, but something kept him from going. He moistened his lips and, heart pounding, turned back to the man.