43. LIVING IN A LIE

The blond reached out his hand and took another egg from the box, then smashed it and threw it into a red bowl

The blond reached out his hand and took another egg from the box, then smashed it and threw it into a red bowl. He quickly mixed all the contents, sprinkled a pinch of salt and poured the broken eggs onto the pan with fried kimchi. He couldn't remember the last time he was making a breakfast for someone that was more than coffee. However, he wanted Jeongguk to eat something warm. Or at least he hoped his friend might eventually decide to eat something.

A week had passed since he had brought him over on Saturday afternoon, yet Jeongguk had hardly ever left his bed. He ate little. He must have almost made him make the boy swallow, at least a few bites of food. The young CEO hardly spoke, most of the time he just lay in bed, hiding under the covers pulled over his head. Jimin has been working from home for the past week. He had never seen his friend like this before, so he preferred not to leave him alone.

When the eggs were set enough, he shifted them to a plate and set the pan down. The kitchen was filled with the aroma of fried kimchi, making him feel hungry too. He ran quickly to the coffee maker and poured the coffee into two mugs, then set everything on a tray and walked towards his bedroom, which had been occupied by Jeongguk for several days.

He was walking at a slow, measured pace so as not to accidentally spill anything. It was unfortunate that he poured the coffee almost to the tip, so it turned out to be quite a feat. When he reached the room, he stumbled over the threshold, he swore swiftly under his breath as he watched in horror as the black liquid spilled from one of the cups. Fortunately, only a few drops spilled out, for which he quickly thanked himself.

Staring at the tray, he entered the room and walked quickly, covering the distance between him and the bedside table. He bent down gently and set the food and drink he had brought on it, then turned on his heel to look at the bed, where he expected to find his friend, wrapped in the quilt almost to his head as always. But he froze at the sight of the empty bed. His heart pounded in his chest as if it was about to pop out, and his eyes scanned the room quickly for Jeongguk.

"G-guk!" He exclaimed, scared, but as the silence answered him, he moistened his full lips nervously, feeling the panic rise. There was nothing in the room that should alarm him, but he felt an almost irrational fear, and bile rose in his throat. "Gguk?! Gguk, where are you?" He shouted again, deeply panicked.

But without waiting for an answer, he walked quickly towards the exit. He heard the loud pounding of his own heart, and darker and darker scenarios began to creep into his head. He ran out into the corridor, looking around in panic, but there was not a sign of Jeongguk anywhere. He parted his lips to call him again, but before he could pronounce the first syllable of his name, some unidentified noise crept into his ears, coming from the bathroom.

Without thinking, he ran down the narrow corridor towards the toilet. The door was ajar, so without asking, he just pushed it open with his open hand and, with his heart beating chaotically, he burst inside. He saw Jeongguk standing in front of the sink. There was a bloody tissue in his hands and for a brief moment he thought that he was about to pass out.