PART 10: Eviction Notice .1

Melissa'sP.O.V.

I was not in a good position.

In the car Evelyn had told Jack all that had happened. How I had tried to kill her, how she had found Brandon dead and buried him and his wife, how we had tussled and she ran off and how Steve had taken us back to Toronto. When she had left to watch them take care of the jeep and to interrogate the boy, Jack asked me how I could have been so stupid and I had to agree. Betraying Evelyn's trust had been the stupidest thing I had done to date.

I wanted to ask if he'd ask for me again, but I was too afraid that would remind him to do so.

He left me alone with Mina, the Doctor for the 401 Drifters. Each faction had one, some of the larger ones had two.

As soon as she was done checking out his bruised ribs and she made sure he was good to follow Evelyn around. Which Jack promptly went about doing as he didn't trust her alone in his compound, she stopped being nice and started being a bit... crazy.

She had been in the process of doing an ultrasound on my leg when it started. She was looking for the break in it and I was trying to figure out a way to ask her if she had any morphine she could give me for the aching pain.

"So, you and Jack..." she started, her eyes not lifting to meet mine.

I knew right away why she was asking me that. I saw the way she stared at Jack and it was clear they had something going on. It was definitely a bad thing that she was asking me about him now.

"There's not much to talk about," I said quickly.

"The men were saying how he's trying to trade the service for Evelyn's jeep for you," Mina said quickly. "That doesn't sound like nothing."

"I didn't ask him to do that. I've been trying to get him to stop," I explained but when she looked up to me with that darkened look in her eyes I just knew that things were not going to go well for me.

"I'm not much into sharing. So if you know what's good for you..."

She took both her hands put them on either side of the break and twisted until I was screaming with pain. I must have either passed out due to the sheer pain or was screaming too loud to hear, but she only stopped twisting when Evelyn shoved Mina out of her seat.

Mina went sprawling and turned, scalpel in hand to see that Evelyn had drawn her emotional armour up. She stood, a stiffness I her shoulders I only saw when she was trying to be intimidating, but those blue eyes were basically crackling with an intense fire. She was angry.

Mina seemed completely ready to try and run at Evelyn with that scalpel in her hand, but the only thing that stopped her that Jack had appeared. He stood just behind Evelyn, looking thoroughly displeased himself.

"I'm pretty sure I'm paying you to fix her, not make it worse," Evelyn growled through grit teeth, the sound chilling even me to the core.

Mina merely glared at Evelyn indifferently. "More like you're paying Jack," she snapped.

Evelyn answered her by pulling a cylindrical object wrapped in cloth. As she unfurled the wrapping I could see the glint of metal and realized that she had brought surgical tools, brand new and highly effective looking surgical tools. Even Mina's eyes lit up at the sight of them.

She stretched one of her thin hands out to grab them only to have Evelyn wrap them up and hide them again before she could. "You'll get these, and some other supplies when both of them are patched up and ready to go, and only if there are no other incidents."

Mina scowled but nodded in agreement before turning back to me.

"Both of us?" I asked, just as the kid who had stolen Evelyn's jeep got dragged into the room whining and protesting as he went. He was already just as annoying as Rebecca and I could tell that this was going to be a permanent thing for him too. I looked up to Evelyn to see that she looked far from impressed by the kid's display.

"Yep, both of you. Meet Connor, Brandon's brother in law," she said, her voice sounding dry and sarcastic, like she wasn't happy about this at all.

"I didn't know that Brandon had a brother in law," I replied.

Evelyn shrugged. "You were getting ready when I got the info of who I was picking up. Would have thought he'd be a bit less wimpy."

"So you forgive him for stealing your jeep?" I asked her.

Evelyn merely shrugged again. "I guess so. I mean, I got it back, they're going to fix it. So I get to pick it up in a few days."

Jack nodded. "And we're going to be friends now." He said that with a big smile. Clearly very happy with this turn of events.

"And what about me?" I asked Evelyn, knowing that now was the time to get that information.

Evelyn's glare was indifferently blank and impossible to read. "What about you?" she asked.

And then she just turned around and left. I still had no idea what was going to happen to me, but I'd be damned if I was going to cry in front of Mina or Connor.