PART 8: Road Trip .3

Melissa's P.O.V.

We drove all night, or well Evelyn did.

Once it hit morning it was my turn. We were only thirty minutes from where we needed to be, she gave me detailed instructions on what to do, where to go, where to park and kept repeating: "Under no circumstance do you stop or crash the car before we get there."

She then promptly curled up into a ball in the back seat and fell asleep.

But I couldn't chance calling the others, I didn't know if she was really asleep or faking it.

So, I spent my time watching the road, but even though we were afraid that Drifters would follow us and kill us, I saw no lights on the road. That meant no Drifters. But that also meant that either Steve hadn't left yet or, if he had, he hadn't caught up.

I could have easily stopped the car and killed Evelyn here but then what were to happen if Steve saw the car coming back without Evelyn in it? That would surely be a death trap, and it wasn't like I knew the area well enough to take a different route home.

We came into our second problem in our trip, well our collective second, it was at least my fourth at this point, at around ten in the morning. I had been driving for three hours at this point and I really, really needed to pee.

We were coming up to a gas station and even though Evelyn made me swear I wouldn't stop unless we had reached our destination, I stopped anyway. I had it all figured out, I'd go in, use the washroom, maybe browse for some snacks that hadn't expired and then head out. If Evelyn was really as deep a sleeper as I thought she was she wouldn't even notice.

I started first by using the radio. Evelyn was asleep after all and I had to chance it.

"Don't log out. Password a trap!" I said into it. "I repeat. Don't log out. Password a trap!"

And then I turned the radio off. I hoped that my guys were smart enough to know not to call me back but turning the radio off was just plain safer. I shot a glance back at Evelyn and saw that she hadn't even moved. She was definitely out, man.

Imagine being so safe and secure that you could fall asleep and be a deep sleeper? The rest of us had trained ourselves to wake up the second we heard a noise, but Evelyn, nope she had no need for that apparently.

I got out of the car, softly shutting the door behind me, with her backpack on my shoulder. I had a flashlight, because while the sun was up the store was dark, and my shotgun and I was ready for anything that could come at me.

I shot a beam of light into the darkened gas station store front and hoped to god that this would get any of the zombies inside out so I could shoot them. I was actually hoping that there were no zombies in there because gunshots would definitely wake Evelyn up.

I moved the flashlight around but no movement brought anything to my attention so I held my breath and walked inside. I was nervous, I used to not be nervous but here I was, shaking because I wasn't used to doing this alone anymore.

Evelyn was always beside me, fearless, confident Evelyn and that calmed me down. It was a bad sign that I saw the presence of Evelyn as a good thing, like nothing could possibly go wrong if she was there with me. This was also a bad thing to be thinking if I was going to be killing her on this trip.

So I took yet another deep breath, made myself man up and walked confidently down the aisles hoping to god the washroom was unlocked and empty. I was unlucky on both fronts. The place was locked and I could hear something banging inside. Whatever it was wasn't shouting for help so I assumed zombie.

Alright, well this place wouldn't have working plumbing anyways so it probably would have be disgusting.

I was going to go pee on a bush behind the store or something. I had turned around to leave when something collided with me from behind.

I remember yelping, trying to turn around to defend myself, hearing the growling on top of me, and seeing the black blood oozing onto the floor beside me. I knew my gun was pinned between my back and the zombie on top of me. I knew that this was probably the end, and I couldn't even scream for help.

And then: bang!

The shot echoed into the silence. The zombie on top of me collapsed. I tried to keep my screams to myself but I could hear my horrified cries as I squirmed out from under the body. Not seconds after I got myself out from under the zombie did another shot ring out and the body twitched. I scrambled back as two more shots hit that downed body and only then did I turn to my saviour.

"What did I tell you?" Evelyn snapped from the doorway, lowering a rifle I hadn't seen her pack. "I said not to stop the car."

As I got up I shot a scowl at her. "I needed to pee," I snapped.

Evelyn was half chuckling. She glanced down to my pants quickly. "Do you still need to?" she asked.

My scowl intensified. "I did not piss myself!"

Evelyn was out right laughing now. "You're not allowed back in my car with wet pants!"

"They are not wet!" I shouted and Evelyn practically doubled over with laughter. The banging on the washroom door got louder and both Evelyn and I jumped.

The door was giving way when Evelyn grabbed me and pulled me out of the store. "Pee quick and get back in the car," she ordered pushing me towards the back of the store where I could see many bushes for slight modesty.

I shot a glance at her over my shoulder as I was walking away. Evelyn was staring out at the road we came down, but it didn't look like she was searching for signs of Steve like I was, no, whatever she was looking for seemed to scare her.

I realized that I had always assumed that Evelyn didn't carry a gun because she wasn't very good with one, but seeing how she handled that rifle I knew that wasn't true. She was a good enough shot which meant taking her down would be harder then I previously thought it might be.

And for the record. I did not piss myself.