PART 12: The Lost Ones .4

Connor's P.O.V.

Was it bad that I was a little excited that Will was gone?

He was gone and left Rebecca behind.

How long was considered appropriate to wait before I made a move on the girl he left behind?

Like one day? Three days? An hour? What was the grieving process? Did I have to wait longer if we only thought he was missing? Could I move in right away the second Evelyn confirmed him dead?

Until I could make up my mind, I planned to sit there beside her and comfort her. She was sitting on the couch in the living room, on and off sobbing. At first it was because she didn't know Will was and she was worried. But now she was crying because Melissa had stupidly told her what Evelyn had said this morning. That the door to the house was unlocked and the drawbridge had been down.

I assumed that it meant that Will had left, of his own accord. Rebecca was certain this meant he was stolen.

Originally she wanted to keep the door open in case Will came back. Melissa shot that down because it was winter and they weren't going to let the frigid air in. Then she wanted to leave the door unlocked, but I mentioned what Evelyn had said about potential squatters and how that probably wasn't a good idea.

That was a mistake.

Now she was sobbing about Will and Keith being stolen even though it was impossible. Evelyn always made sure that the place was locked up, and the drawbridge had been up all day. In fact, the last people to come onto the compound had been Godrick and Jack, just the day before and they had to radio Evelyn to lower the drawbridge for them. Then they left, the drawbridge went back up and it didn't go down again.

So that meant someone had to open up the drawbridge from the inside and since none of them had done it, it reasoned that it was either Will or Keith.

Why either of them wanted to leave, or go for a walk or whatever was beyond us, but clearly that was what happened. Though Rebecca clearly didn't want to think that.

At that point, Evelyn had been gone for hours, which did not bode well for the outcome of this search and rescue mission. Though I don't know how successful a search and rescue could be with only one person searching would be.

Melissa had left us quickly because, and I'm only guessing here, Rebecca's constantly shrill and theatrical sobbing was annoying her. But eventually she came down the stairs, also something that took a long time because she still had the cast, and she flagged me over.

I excused myself and leaving Rebecca on the couch still sobbing.

As soon as I go to her, I could see that she was holding a piece of paper in her hand and she seemed intent on getting me out of Rebecca's purview.

"What's that?" I asked right away cause I was nosey like that.

Melissa made a big show of looking past me to see what Rebecca was doing. She was leaning over the back of the couch to look out the window to see if Evelyn was coming back yet, which she was not.

"It's a letter from Will," she whispered. "According to this he's left of his own accord, got a job with the Drifters and he's sorry for whatever bullshit I'm going to have to deal with. He wanted to say good-bye but apparently he was avoiding confrontation with Rebecca."

What the shit? I mean, on the one hand I was right but like... how did this happen? That was fucking crazy, how could anyone just abandon someone like Rebecca? She was beautiful and perfect and... and... I mean, come on! I'd kill for a girl like her and Will just up and abandoned her? For the Drifters? Fucking why?

"So what we gotta do is... we gotta not tell her, you don't know what this is gonna do... so we're going to wait for Evelyn to come back..."

Yeah, I wasn't about to let that happen. I snatched the letter right out of Melissa's hand and then before she could stop me, I was in that room showing it to Rebecca.

"He left that for Melissa, he's left you."

I was so proud of myself, so ready to accept the credit for solving the mystery and accept the love I deserved from her. And trust me I could give her so much more than Will ever could. But she took that letter, read it and then turned angry eyes up at me.

I glanced back and found that Melissa was nowhere to be found, and suddenly I had a feeling that maybe that was the smart place to be.

"How dare you," Rebecca hissed. "How dare you make this up!"

I blinked my eyes confused as to how this had managed to turn onto me.

"I am perfect! And I'm beautiful and there is no way that he would ever leave me. I was way out of his league... this is disgusting lie!" she snarled ripping the letter up in her hands. "I bet you wrote this yourself so you could get with me! Right? Right?! Get away from me you disgusting shrivelled dick loser! Get away from me!"

It was the first time she had ever yelled at me like that, the first time she had ever seemed rabid or crazy and I found myself stumbling away as a different kind of crying filled the living room.

I glanced up to the top of the stairs where a scowling Melissa was staring down at me. "Should've gone with my plan, dumbass."

And then she was gone. Not long after I locked myself in my room too, playing music to drown out Rebecca's continued sobs and fits of shouting rage aimed at me. I was starting to get why Will left the way he did. The girl was fucking nuts.

Why were all the pretty ones crazy?