PART 4: The Others .4

Jack's P.O.V.

I kept running, though it was hard to keep up with Evelyn and Godrick. They were so much faster than me and I couldn't understand how. I wasn't in that bad shape, and the two of them didn't look like there were any more ripped then me.

The zombie horde wasn't that far behind us, but still Evelyn and Godrick paused to let me catch up. Godrick had reloaded his revolver and started picking up the ones at the front of the pack. The bodies on the ground caused the zombies behind to trip and fall.

This allowed for more time to breathe while the zombies tried to get back up or the others climbed over the pile of fallen zombies.

I doubled over panting deep sweetly cool breaths of air. "How are you guys so fast?" I asked through my painful wheezes.

"We don't spend all of our time in a car," Evelyn said. The first of the zombies made it over the ones who had fallen and Godrick holstered his gun.

"Come on, we got to make it to the drawbridge," Godrick said turning and jogging away.

"Whoa, wait, you're not coming to my house," Evelyn said jogging to keep up with Godrick.

Godrick shot a wary look over his shoulder. "Can we argue about this later?"

In the distance a blaring alarm echoed and Evelyn swore. "Great, someone's breaking into my house!"

They took off and if it were possible they were running even faster. I was struggling to keep up with them and this time they didn't seem too interested in making sure I kept up. I lagged after them, turn after turn, hoping I was far enough away from the zombies that they wouldn't catch up or catch me.

I knew where we were going of course, to Evelyn's crazy house, but I hoped I was going to get through the front door like a normal person. It was so much harder to get in there when you had to break in.

However, when we turned the final corner I saw that there was a very real problem. The draw bridge was out. But if that was a problem to Evelyn she showed no concern. She ran full speed at the distance and leapt across grabbing onto the wood of the drawbridge and hoisting herself over.

Whatever she did on the other side had the drawbridge lowering. Still out of breath I doubled over to catch it while Godrick unloaded the clip of his revolver. The zombies were still coming and there wasn't anything else to shoot at them.

"Jump now!" Evelyn ordered, the draw bridge was only half way down.

I didn't think it was a good idea but Godrick obeyed her without question. Which was more than I could say about what he would do for me, he always questioned my orders. So I followed after him jumping the distance as the draw bridge went back to the neutral position.

Then came the second problem, the faster, stronger zombies seemed to have no problem following after us. As I jumped down from drawbridge at least three zombies had jumped across.

Evelyn and Godrick were already gone sprinting towards the house that was surrounded by zombies.

"Really?" Evelyn was screaming. "Really?!"

She broke through the crowd and went up the stairs, putting her hands on the door everything began to unlock. Godrick jumped the stairs to of the porch and slid to a stop beside Evelyn.

"Get the door open, get it open now!" he cried.

"It's on full alert, it's going to take a while," she shouted back. She whirled around on a girl I didn't recognize. "What did you do? Why couldn't you just stay inside?"

The girl shrugged, there were three others with her, a girl who looked like she was having a panic attack and two wimpy looking men who had the worst weapons in the world. A couple of knives and a weird looking set of revolvers that were nailed together. They were all cowering behind the lead brunette that Evelyn seemed quite familiar with.

Behind me zombies were racing towards us, the frantic noises of everyone around Evelyn grew into a frenzied opera of wines and cries for help and hurry. As the zombies got closer and the screams got louder Evelyn reached her breaking point.

She whirled away from the door and stormed through the people around her. She didn't leave the porch but instead leaned forward and with all the might she had in her, opened her mouth and roared, right into the face of the oncoming zombies.

I expected them to pounce on her, take her down, and rip her into shreds but they did something I didn't expect at all. The runners slid to a stop, and together with the other they all scrambled back from her. Taking precautionary steps, like they were scared of her, scared of what she would do.

The door clicked open and everyone rushed inside, the metal door slamming behind the last person—Evelyn. Silence fell onto the group as they caught their breaths and avoided everyone's eyes.

Suddenly Evelyn stood straighter and shouted: "This is why I hate people!" and then stomped up the stairs leaving everyone behind.

Somewhere upstairs a door slammed and I let out the breath I was holding in. "Well," I said putting my hands on my hips and gaining everyone's attention. "That was eventful."

I broke out in a nervous laughter and no onejoined in with me.