PART 14: The Gladiator .4

Jack's P.O.V.

Every time someone died, the crowd sitting in the rafters would cheer.

And honestly that was worse than anything else I was dealing with at that moment. But I had to be the strong one, I was a Drifter Duke, I had to act like it, even in the face of certain death.

Supply drops and new types of zombies to battle were timed, we figured out. We had to count buzzers. There fist buzzer was new people being released. Second was new zombies. Third would be supplies. But recently the supply drops had gotten less and less frequent but more and more zombies were being added into the mix. And there were no more people. We seemed to be the last of them.

We were trying to fortify our little area, but it was getting harder and harder as our supplies began to dwindle.

Then a supply dropped, we heard the alarm of the panels in the ceiling open up and the sound of a crate hitting the ground.

But we were surrounded.

Tiberius had let out the predators, two packs of them, and they were trying to scale the crudely built building we were in.

It was like one of those paintball sheds, except it had two floors. Melissa and I were on the top but below us we could hear the others arguing.

I had a feeling I knew about what.

We were out of SMG ammo, all we had left was pistols and long rage rifles and two shot shot-guns. That would not be good against the horde outside our barricaded door.

I wasn't entirely surprised when the men came up the stairs heading towards us.

"Is it wise to leave the first floor unmanned?" I snarled but that was the least of our worries right now.

"We have a plan," the man who seems to think he's the leader now said.

"Okay?"

"We're going to sacrifice someone. They'll distract the zombies and we can get the ammo."

Yeah, that was worrying.

"Okay, and which idiot is going to do that?"

None of them answered me, so it was pretty clear that he meant one of us. Then, before I could argue, before I could stop them, they just charge forward and pushed Melissa through the window.

Now, I could have argued. I could have asked what the hell was going on. But no, I shot the three men before me, which was a waste of bullets but whatever. I wounded each and every one of them, shot them all in the leg so they wouldn't be able to run and then I too jumped right out that window.

I landed on a zombie, taking it down to the ground before it could pounce on Melissa who was still on the ground no doubt dazed. If I was lucky she wouldn't be injured at all.

I shot the three zombies around us and then the one I was standing on. We were safe for now, but I had just used the last of the bullets in the pistol. So I tossed it away.

I got Melissa up to her feet, and said: "Come on, we gotta get to that ammo."

I didn't ask her if she could walk, I just started to drag her away knowing that I'd notice if she could keep up or not. If she was limping or she was injured, I didn't know what we'd do.

I didn't want to leave her but I might have to if she couldn't run.

She could though, so I wasn't too worried. But there were more zombies than I thought. The fodder zombies were all congregating by the doors no doubt waiting to be fed, but we were making noise so they were getting interested in us.