PART 15: The Wakened .3

Sierra's P.O.V.

As soon as I knew Evelyn was out and about without her jeep, I was looking for her. We all heard the commotion at the Dome, the Beast had been there, which meant that Evelyn was going to have find another way home.

I figured it was the perfect chance to get her. I had flushed the streets with all the hunters I had in the Carnal Circus. The one to grab Evelyn would get a reward, that was enough incentive to chance going up against her and potentially Steve. But Evelyn was smart and while my men sometimes caught up with her, they lost her a lot too.

But from their sightings, I figured out, most likely where she was heading.

So I took my car, and Lucas, my second in command, with me to the Zoo.

Lucas was a great second in command. He was a little crazy but he wasn't power hungry, he hungered for violence and other... dark carnal things... but he liked taking orders, specially when it came from me, and he got to be as violent and twisted as he liked.

He didn't know about the beef I had with Evelyn, I didn't really like talking about it, but he was down for anything. Especially if it meant taking down Evelyn.

It might have been overkill but I had us park over a block away so she wouldn't see my car and then hid behind a snow drift for good measure. We could have waited in the car for her to show up, but I didn't want to miss her. So we got out of the car to wait.

Evelyn was on foot so it took her forever to show up, but when she did, even though the sun was going down and we were basically frozen, we were ready. She was breathless, but she didn't look afraid or worried, she just looked tired. It bugged me that she never looked afraid.

Already I was angry. I always got angry around her, but to see her look so calm after being chased up to the Zoo was infuriating to me.

We hung back to watch her. To watch as she caught her breath effortlessly. We watched as she put her fingers to her lips and whistled. She waited but nothing answered. I knew what she was doing. She was calling Steve. No answer meant no Steve. Meant we were safe to go forward with our plan.

She huffed, like she was annoyed, probably was annoyed that her protector wasn't home. And that's when Lucas and I showed ourselves.

"Well, well," I said causing Evelyn to turn around. Her cold calculating eyes stared at me, sizing me up. Even with a gun in my hand she still wasn't afraid of me.

God, that was so infuriating!

"I've got you now," I snarled and Evelyn almost sighed, like this was boring her. Like she was tired of me.

"You have one guy."

See, Evelyn always underestimated others and overestimated herself. This was going to be her downfall one day. Probably today.

"I also have a gun..." "—I mean so do I..." Lucas added but Evelyn wasn't listening to either of us anymore.

She was craning to look behind us, concern on her face for the first time. Both Lucas and I turned to see what could possibly be scaring the amazing, fearless, Evelyn Duncan.

Nothing was there.

Sighing to myself I turn back around. Yep. Evelyn had bolted into the zoo.

Great. Just fucking Great.

I should have known it was a trick. Evelyn was always up to sly tricks like that.

Well I wasn't letting her get away that easily!