PART 7: Well Laid Plans .4

Jack's P.O.V.

"The Radio's for you!"

That could mean only one thing.

Orion!

The big boss was calling me. The Drifter King himself. I rushed into the radio room and found that Godrick was hanging out in the back. He looked fidgety and nervous but I didn't know why. I waved him off but he shook his head definitely refusing to move. I didn't have time for this.

I picked up the receiver and took a few calming breaths before saying: "This is Jack."

Hey Jack-o!

I knew that voice. And I knew there was only one person who would call me Jack-o.

Evelyn.

I sighed and immediately I was off edge. I was disappointed but at least I wasn't nervous anymore.

"What do you want?" I asked.

I'm on my way out of town, I need you to put the word out that I'm untouchable.

I paused immediately. I wasn't certain that was something I could do. Not to mention where the hell could Evelyn be going?

"Uh... what the hell? What do you mean you're going out of town? You never leave!"

"Don't let her go Jack. She'll take Steve and that will mess with everything!" Godrick hissed.

I shot him a quizzical look as I couldn't understand what the hell the kid was talking about. He looked concerned though which was new for him. Usually had an air of uncaring about him. I thought his face was incapable of anything else. And since when did he care that much about Evelyn? I mean, yeah, he spent the most amount of time around her but he never showed any real signs of caring until now.

I have to go up to Ottawa to pick up a friend. I won't be gone long, just put the word out, will you?

"I don't know Ev-ie," I said using Godrick's pet name for her. She had long since stopped correcting me whenever I used it. "I'm not sure I have the power to do that, I'd have to talk to Orion..."

"NO!" came from both the radio and Godrick. I turned an incredulous look at him and saw that instead of looking sheepish he was red, I couldn't tell if he was embarrassed or angry. He looked more angry than embarrassed though.

You can't tell Orion! Just don't okay. It'll save me a lot of hassle if you do it instead.

"I don't know..." I said softly.

I'll give you whatever you want when I get back okay?

"Even Melissa?"

There was a momentary pause and I smiled, maybe this was the day I'd get a yes on that offer.

Anything but that.

Okay today wasn't the day. I huffed but said nothing, not sure what else I really wanted to ask for since I couldn't ask for another girl. To be honest after what happened up at Flemming's compound no one had wanted to go up there. The rumour was that the Beast was spotted on site, probably drawn in by the commotion Evelyn had supplied. At the current moment the place was abandoned but there was talk of Flemming reinstating himself there, but he was still hiding out at the Dome in case Evelyn was still mad at him.

Honestly, I was surprised to hear he survived betraying her, even if his business and collection seemed to be in tatters. I would have thought she would have ripped him a new one or would at least let her infamous Steve destroy him or something.

Godrick suddenly ripped the receiver out of my hand and pushed me aside. I very ungracefully toppled out of the chair and to the floor.

"You can't go!" he cried. "If you go out of town, you'll have to take Steve and if he goes it will upset the whole balance of the ecosystem you've got going on here!"

I stared up to him from my spot on the floor in complete and utter shock for several reasons.

1. Godrick had just shoved me, his commanding officer, out of a chair.

2. He was talking all sciency again, not that this was all that surprising because I knew he was smarter than he let on to be. But this talk of an ecosystem was new to me

3. If I didn't know any better it sounded like he was begging his lover or love interest not to leave.

Holy hell, could Godrick be in love with Evelyn?

Look Ricky, I can't say no to this. Okay? Brandon's got my card and he's calling in. I have to go. And if I can I'll get Steve to come with me. So what if everything's goes out of balance for a few days? Just remember what I told you to do and you'll be fine. Who cares about everyone else? They're not my problem and they're not yours either.

I slowly got up and looked at Godrick in a new light. He looked so forlorn and upset but I could see something else in those icy blue eyes. Fear. Godrick was afraid of losing Evelyn.

"Okay fine, but be safe," he whispered.

As always. I gotta go. Say bye to Jack-o for me and I'll see you in a few days.

And that was the end of the call.

Godrick shot me a dark glare before he put the receiver down. "Don't call Orion," was all he said to me before he stormed out. I scoffed at him, Godrick didn't tell me what to do and he never would. I changed the frequency of the radio again and picked up the receiver. I was the boss here, and I did what I wanted, not what Godrick or Evelyn told me to.