PART 7: Well Laid Plans .2

Brandon's P.O.V.

No one could look at me the same way once we left the bus behind. There wasn't a single thing I could do to change it either, not right now anyway. My utmost concern was to get my family to safety, I could worry about gaining their forgiveness once we were all moved in to one of Evelyn's safe houses.

Speaking of Evelyn, it was completely unlike her to be completely silent like this. Even if she were still mad at me—which I was assuming she was—she still would have at least called to gloat before telling me she wasn't coming.

In all my years of knowing Evelyn she had never been this unreliable.

Maybe she had changed more than I thought she had, maybe she wouldn't honor her promise after all. Maybe something had happened to her, though if it had I'm pretty sure Orion would have sung that to the very sky if that had been the case. Or I would have heard from Cooper about it, he would have been sobbing, he wouldn't have been as calm when I first called.

Up until a few hours ago I was certain Evelyn had died and Cooper just didn't know about it, but he had radioed me and informed me that he finally got a hold of her, that she was thinking about it and that if she decided to come help me I'd hear from her myself.

I sighed again, softly as to not wake up everyone who was asleep in the car, and I mean everyone, Lena, Connor, my son, Steven, I was the only one awake in this car. I couldn't really blame them, it had been a tiring day, filled with terror and betrayal. The night had fallen quick signalling the beginning of winter. Evelyn and Steve would be busy getting ready for their hibernating months, hiding in their respective caves where it was warm and safe until it was warm enough to go scrounging again. I wanted to do that too, but I didn't have the supplies or a safe enough place, and that was what I needed Evelyn for.

Ev-ie to Brand-o.

That pert voice coming through the radio shocked me so much that I braked suddenly and hard jolting everyone awake. Steven was wailing in the back seat, Connor was swearing while Lena glared at me.

"I have to talk to her," I said quickly, "Can you take him outside?"

Ev-ie to Brand-o. Where are you, you French Fuck?

I shot Lena a pleading look who scanned the surroundings, I knew if there were zombies I would have seen them by now, a moving vehicle in the middle of the night, we would have been swarmed the second we stopped had any of them been around. She hesitantly got out and walked slowly around the car to the side with the car-seat.

You called for me, remember Brand-o?

Lena pulled him out but I could tell by the way Connor was glaring at me that he was waiting to challenge me when I asked him to leave. Instead I took up the receiver and tried not to grin as I said: "As impatient as always I see."

There was a brief silence in which I held my breath and then: Yeah, yeah, I figure if it's such an emergency that you're willing to trade in my card that you'd respond ASAP. What do you need Brand-o?

"I refuse to believe that Cooper didn't tell you what I need."

I'm hoping you've changed your mind.

"Meet me at Ottawa University. I'm going to need an escort back to Toronto. Old R wasn't too happy to let me go earlier today," I told her.

The silence that followed hit me heavily, I knew she couldn't in good conscience say no, but Evelyn never really had a good conscience. In fact, I'd go far enough to say she didn't have a conscience at all.

Ottawa's out of my jurisdiction Brandon. I won't be much help to you.

"He won't mess with you, you know that."

Only in Toronto. But if I leave I'm fair game. You know that, as well as I do. I've already given up his card, I don't have a favor left from him.

I bit my lip. She had? What the hell had been so important that she had traded her card to Orion? Well this definitely didn't bode well for them.

"Then bring Steve!" I cried.

Yeah, contrary to popular belief he's a busy guy! Winter's coming up, you know that. He doesn't even like leaving the city!

"Evelyn, I honestly don't care. Do what you have to do, but you're coming to help me. You owe me, I'm calling my favour in!" I growled.

I heard the sigh, aggravated but defeated, I knew then that she'd honor her promise to me. Fine. I'll come. I'll leave tonight. But so help me if you get me killed...

She left it at that, leaving me hanging but she meant it. She was coming to get us. I signalled for Lena to come back in the car and even though my wife was furious with me I couldn't keep the smile off my face. We were saved.