Epilogue: The Would-Be King .1

Melissa's P.O.V.

After our disastrous trip to the mall, and Evelyn rescuing me and Jack from the dome, she refused to leave the house. She kept saying if we wanted to go, we could, she just wasn't going to go with us and we weren't allowed to take her cars.

At first we actually thought about it. Jack was coming by a couple times a week, with Evelyn's permission of course, to see me. He kept offering to drive us wherever we wanted to go, though I was sure she was doing that to stay in my good graces. And maybe I was entertaining the idea because I felt bad that he was taking me out on dates around the city, but the others were stuck in the house.

Evelyn spent most of her time in her room avoiding Rebecca and Connor after all, so they only had each other and the two of them were awfully awkward after the fight with Godrick. It was clear Connor was vying for Rebecca's attention, and she was lapping it all up. However, the second Godrick came back, she was all over him which made Connor angry... and sulky... and... well... awkward, you see?

The only reason we didn't go with the Jack-route of going out, was because Evelyn said that she had hit her yearly quotient for rescues. So if we went off with Jack and got in trouble, she wasn't going to come save us.

And I believed her.

So we decided not to leave either.

It wasn't even that bad. We did Christmas, we exchanged the small presents that we had gotten one another under a tree that had just appeared in the house one morning. And beside it boxes of decorations, all labelled "Christmas." Though Evelyn didn't join us, we knew that they were Duncan Family ornaments so we were careful with them, and we did have fun decorating everything.

We even had a New Years' Party, equipped with a video tapped version of the ball drop in New York's Time Square, and a countdown. Everyone got a kiss at the end of the night, Rebecca got two as Jack and Godrick had joined us. Jack kissed me, Rebecca got one from Godrick and Connor... just to be clear.

Jack came to visit me often, he like to bring me things, little treats. Like cookies, movies and popcorn, beer, and as I mentioned he was taking me out every now and then. Not that I really wanted to go far, you know?

Sometimes he was nice enough to bring things for the others too. He'd bring little trinkets for Rebecca so she'd leave us alone and books for Connor. He always had something for Evelyn, but that was because if he wanted access to her house he'd have to barter his way in.

Usually what he brought was gasoline for her cars, or weapons and ammo for her. Just necessities of our new way of life.

Honestly, everything was going good. Almost too good. I had completely forgotten what it was like to struggle, to constantly be worried about zombies just outside the door or where the next meal was going to come from. I had definitely forgotten what it felt like to worry about where we were going to get gas, or ammo.

I had gotten complacent. I thought myself impervious, that nothing could get me, just like nothing could get Evelyn. Because in my head, Evelyn was unstoppable, all-powerful, and as long as we were there with her we were safe. I was safe.

The second snow started to melt Evelyn was on the road again and I got to go with her. That just added to my ego, to the belief that I was just as untouchable as her.

We would leave the house in her Jurassic jeep and check in on all the places she was a go-between for. We went to the farm lands, making sure that everyone made it through the winter, and that the generators worked. She patched up any fences that went down or anything else they needed help with.

When they were done and good, she started checking on generators across the city, making sure they were all back on line. We checked on her different collectors that she knew, and whoo-boy did they have a long list of things they wanted her to keep their eyes on.