PART 16: The Beast .4

Jack's P.O.V.

By the time Godrick returned, the news that out of all of my people Mina was the only casualty had almost sunk in and the dead had been piled to be put into a truck and dropped into Fodder Flats.

It was the ritual for the dead.

We couldn't have graveyards anymore, because it attracted zombies who would dig. Whether they be zombie animals or actual people. So we left them out by Fodder Flats so that the zombies out there could feed. Keeping them from feeling the need to come into the city to hunt.

We were sure to hobble the corpses first lest they revived. If they did, they wouldn't be able to walk and therefore would die out before really hurting anyone. If they weren't eaten first.

It wasn't a very respectful ritual, but more of a necessity now.

Considering the Beast had attacked we really didn't have many men to take out there, it was getting a recruit to do it that was the tricky part.

That was why, I was only half as angry as I was originally, when I saw the jeep that Godrick had taken, rolling back into the compound. Oh I was still angry, because where the hell had he been? But at the same time I couldn't be that angry, he'd be the only one I could get to go out to Fodder Flats.

The game plan was to be the right amount of angry, so that when I told him to take the dead out to Fodder Flats, he wouldn't argue. You know, because he wanted to make it up to me.

This trick worked on almost everyone, only Mina and Godrick were immune. Still, it wouldn't hurt to try.

If it didn't work I'd just flat out order him to do it.

Wouldn't be able to argue with me then.

So I stormed over to the truck as Godrick got out. There was clear concern on his face as he took in all the carnage that used to be our home. He did, however, look relieved when he saw me.

"What happened?" Godrick asked as he rushed towards me.

"What happened? The Beast happened! That's what happened!"

Godrick's eyebrows furrowed in surprise. "The Beast did this?" he asked and then surprised me by saying: "That's not like him."

Really? He thought he knew the inner workings of the Beast's mind? Really? My god that boy could be condescending.

"Why yes Godrick, you've caught me, I'm making it all up," I find myself snapping. "When I tell you the Beast cleared our wall, destroyed our buildings, and took off, that's what happened! Do you want to ask anyone else, see if they'll tell you the same story?"

Godrick continued to look around. "Sorry, you're right, you wouldn't lie about that," he said absently. "It just doesn't make sense." He muttered that last little bit to himself before turning back to me. "We better head to the Shady House, see if something's up."

Now it's my turn to narrow my eyes at him. "Why would we go to Shady House?"

"Because Evelyn would know why this happened."

Now that I don't believe at all, but I follow him, only because he seemed so certain that Evelyn had all the answers. And because I knew if I couldn't get Godrick to do it, I could definitely convince Evelyn to take those bodies out to Fodder Flats for me.

"Shoot any of the dead that move," I call out as I get into the passenger seat of the car. "I'm going to scout a safe location for us, until then pick through the rubble for anything we can salvage. Stay sharp, stay alert. I'll be back soon."

My men all nodded to me and as soon as I was in Godrick's truck, I nodded to him.

Still needed to keep up appearances, couldn't have anyone thinking I was letting Godrick make the calls. Least of all him.