PART 9: A Thief's Consequences .2

Jack's P.O.V.

Godrick was M.I.A. all night.

He left around midnight, took a car, and came back around dawn. He went from pacing by the radio to driving the jeep out for hours before I finally cornered him and asked what he was doing.

He was waiting for Evelyn.

Apparently, she and Steve were late returning from Ottawa and that made Godrick very nervous. This just made me angry. I mean, really, did this have to be a full out emergency situation? Why the hell did he care so much about Evelyn anyway?

So, imagine how angry I was when I hear that he was on the radio with Evelyn when I specifically told him I didn't want him using our band to talk to her without me there to hear it all. So, I had to run across our compound to get the radio room and I guess I missed most of the conversation. But I did get to hear the good stuff.

Just be on the lookout for the jeep. I don't care what you do to the bastard who stole it, just get it back if you can.

Someone had the balls to steal Evelyn's car? Seriously? Who the hell was that dumb? That was almost as bad as stealing one of our cars.

I shoved Godrick out of the chair, sending him toppling to the ground and then took his place. I smirked down at him, I had promised myself that I would get him back for doing the same to me and now I had.

I took the radio and said very calmly into it: "This is Jack-O, someone stole your jeep?"

There was silence on the other end before Evelyn came back with: Yes. And I'm giving you permission to apprehend the son-of-a-bitch who did it.

I laughed. "And what do I get when I do? Melissa?" I asked. It was a hopeful question. I expected no at every turn now but not that day.

Maybe.

That was confusing. That was unexpected.

"What? Not protecting your pet anymore?"

Situation's changed. There was banging that interrupting Evelyn's transmission the sound of cracking that might have been static or a wooden door breaking down.

Got to go. Looks like I'm about to lose the station. See you soon.

And then she was gone. No more transmissions though Godrick definitely looked very nervous about this.

I turned to him with a cocky smile on my face. "Wanna tell me what's going on?" I asked and then waited for Godrick to answer.