PART16: The Beast .6

Mina's P.O.V.

The walk to St. Michael's hospital was quick considering I was riding a zombie tiger.

It was like it turned a corner took two steps and we were there. If I had walked it, it would have taken at least fifteen minutes. Maybe more if I was hiding from zombies.

Didn't have to worry about that while riding a zombie tiger.

For a while we just stood there, or it stood there while I sat in the scruff behind it's head. It was just staring at the hospital as if it were expecting something.

Eventually it lowered itself down to the ground and I realized that it expected me to get off of it's back and walk into the hospital.

"Oh hell no!" I cried. "That is not happening!"

And it wasn't, because the only person who could actually get into a hospital was Evelyn and she was down for the count.

The zombie tiger spat Evelyn out of it's mouth, keeping her between it's paws. It huffed and growled in short little bursts like it was trying to talk to me, but I didn't understand zombie tiger, I didn't even understand regular tiger.

"No, I can't go in there, I'll die!" I said again and for a while the tiger just sat there.

Then slowly it started to shake it's whole body, like a dog did when it was trying to get the water out of it's fur. It continued this, until I understood what it wanted, and a little bit because I was certain it was going to shake me off.

I got off it.

"You don't understand, hospitals are infested with zombies. I can't go in there."

The zombie tiger just stared at me, and for some reason, I was absolutely positive I saw understanding in it's neon green eyes. Like it understood every word I was saying to it.

But that couldn't have been right... right?

It darted forward, the front of it's teeth gingerly taking hold the front of my jacket and tugging me towards it's paws. It got me right to where Evelyn was, clearly telling me that it wanted me to be with her.

Once it had me where it wanted me, it stood. I both heard and saw it take that deep breath, I watched it's sides swell and I had the smarts to cover my ears just as the booming threatening roar broke out of the tiger.

It must have roared for a full minute before finally stopping. And then it just hunkered down. Lowering itself over us.

Just as the zombies poured out of the hospital.

I watched them all, from behind the giant green furry pillars that was the zombie tiger's legs as they all darted around it. They were coming out of every door, a few jumped out of high windows. They spilled out onto the street, rushing down and away before just... stopping.

They formed a sort of wall, and they just stood there. It was like we were surrounded by a crowd of onlookers just waiting for us to leave.

After a while the zombie tiger straightened again before shuffling back. I had to crane my neck to look up to it as it stared down at me.

And then it just nodded its head towards the hospital. A gesture that clearly meant: "Well go on."

"No!" I cried. "How do I know that it's safe in there? What if all of them didn't come out?"

The zombie tiger huffed at me, an angry sort of snort like I was annoying it. Then it started to cough, I wasn't sure what it was doing, until all of a sudden it opened it's mouth and barfed a whole load of semi-clear green tinted liquid was basically hurled onto me.