PART 2: A.K.A The House of Death .3

Melissa's P.O.V.

When I woke up again I was strung up to the wall, hands above my head, jacket gone, side and pride still smarting. The door was open, letting in a drafty chill and being partially damp and without my jacket I was shivering so hard I'm surprised the chains keeping me up weren't rattling.

I could see Evelyn across from the shed, standing over the edge of her cages pouring a big green bucket of that nasty slop made out of human body parts.

"Yeah guys! Get excited! I got you a female prize for the maze today! You know how much you like those, right? Yeah, extra sweet, extra fat. It's going to be great!"

My blood ran cold, she meant me. She was going to feed me to the zombies. Jezus how the hell had I gotten myself into this? I mean I had the object of surprise, I had the bigger weapon, I even had her cornered in this stupid shed. Who even carries a tazer anymore? Honestly, wasn't that just a bit of cheating? What a useless zombie apocalypse weapon.

Then again, Evelyn wasn't using it on zombies. Evidently she kept it to keep other survivors at bay.

Evelyn came into the shed again throwing the bucket by my feet. She smiled up at me with a sort of acidic gleam about her. Like she was actually going to enjoy what she was going to do to me.

I fevered sweat broke out on my brow. "Don't do this."

Evelyn turned away to her wall of surgical tools and other gruesome oddities and picked out a rather large scalpel. She turned back to me twirling the knife in her hand with the ease one would twirl a pencil.

"You were going to torture me for my secrets and then kill me!" Evelyn said. "Give me one reason why I should keep someone like you alive."

"Because you need me!" I cried. It was a blatant lie, but maybe if I could convince Evelyn that it was true I could survive long enough to overpower her and run away. Screw getting her stuff I just needed to put as much distance between Evelyn and me as possible.

Evelyn had a quizzical look on her face, but she had paused to consider the options.

"Yeah! You can't run this house all on your own!" I continued. "You need someone to help you out. We could be friends. I'll watch the house and your zombies while you go out scavenging and then keep watch while you're sleeping."

Evelyn's face was devoid of emotion. That was not a good sign.

"I... I could help you catch zombies!" I added. "I could help you find things you're looking for! I could be back up for all your trades!"

"Steve helps me with all of that," Evelyn said plainly.

I ground my teeth and tried really hard not to break out into tears. I refused to believe that I was going to die here, in this tiny little shack at the hands of this mini psycho.

"I've never even seen this Steve! I bet he doesn't even exist!" I shouted.

Evelyn's eyebrows drew together. A frown on her face for the first time. She looked very angry with the thought of someone not believing her so-called friend didn't exist.

"He does too! He's just sneaky! Best zombie hunter around! He's why they're scared of me you know. He got me this mist that I spray and then they avoid me and my area! He's always there when I need him and he's always got my back!" she cried. "Besides, even if you had killed me, Steve just would have found out and rampaged until he found you and destroyed you so your victory would have been very short-lived."

She shook her head to clear herself of the negative thoughts. That smile was back on her face, the vicious I'm-going-to-cut-you-up smile. I squirmed in my chains as Evelyn brandished the scalpel and moved closer to my stomach.