PART 6: Car Troubles .6

Flemming's P.O.V.

First it was the starburst of pink. That was then followed by flashing lights and the quiet din of music in the distance.

Then I felt the stampede, quite literally through my feet. The Fodder herd was on the move and it shook my house. Then things went disastrously quiet.

Quiet where Evelyn was involved was never good, and despite being certain that our plan couldn't possibly fail, I stayed by my windows waiting to see any sign of movement in the dark.

I was rewarded maybe an hour later when I saw Biocom flashing lights in the distance and that was the confirmation that something had happened out by Fodder Flats. Something needed to be cleared out.

But how had Biocom known to come so fast?

I suddenly had a terrible thought that maybe Evelyn survived, because she had a direct line to Biocom, seeing as she worked for them. But if Sierra didn't kill her then the zombies must have. Not even Evelyn Duncan could survive a frenzied stampede.

I had taken myself away from the window vigil to make myself a soothing herbal tea to calm my nerves and told myself again and again that Evelyn was gone and there was nothing that could hurt me. Sierra had done the dirty work after all, there would be no need for Steve to even think of coming here and killing me for being involved.

"Hey Flemming!"

The voice boomed through the silence of the night. My tea went flying, the teacup shattering as it hit the floor. I ran to the closest window and saw Evelyn on my lawn. I didn't wonder how she got through my gate, I didn't wonder how she survived or why she had a megaphone. No, I wondered how mad she was and if she was alone.

"You betrayed me Flemming. Was is worth it?" she asked me.

I didn't have any way or reason to answer her. Obviously, it wasn't because she was still alive and she had gotten herself through my defenses without setting off a single alarm. Evelyn was a very dangerous enemy to have after all.

"Here's what's going to happen, Dorian," she started.

I cringed as she used my first name, she never did that. She always stuck to last names and nicknames. She was really mad for sure.

"I'm going to give you to the count of ten to get the fuck out of your house and give me a goddamn good reason why you did this. Or you and your whole house are getting fucked up. We clear?"

Then she started counting. And I started weighing my options.

If I let my zombies out, they could probably distract her long enough for me to escape. I could hide at the Carnal Circus, or maybe the Dome. But Evelyn was relentless and she wouldn't stop until I was sorry. Maybe I could just apologize and give her a rare game for her to play and that would be it, even though I was certain it wouldn't be enough.

I could flee out the back and hope to God she didn't find me. Or just go outside and shoot her in the head, but that meant Steve would probably show up. In fact... did she bring Steve with her? There was no running if Steve was here, he'd get me no problem, but I didn't see him with her. Steve was pretty hard to miss.

Ten.

I paused and turned back to the window. In the darkness behind Evelyn I saw orbs of green light blink to life and I was filled with an icy terror.

Oh. Good. God.

She had brought Steve.

I was going to die.