PART 1: A Shady Lady .1

Melissa's P.O.V. 

I was only a few feet behind her. From what I could tell Evelyn wasn't oblivious. I mean, she had headphones in and I could hear the song she was listening to from where I was hiding behind the garbage can, but I had a feeling that she knew I was there. I was in all black though, my brown hair pulled back and hidden in a black beanie, she shouldn't have been able to see me. However whenever she check over her shoulder, her piercing blue eyes finding my hiding spot in the shadows with ease, I knew it wasn't because she was checking for zombies.

There were two packs of zombies in the area, there was the shuffling ones down the street, a group of twenty, and a group of only five faster ones. For some reason those faster zombies moved in smaller packs, probably because they were faster together that way. Either way, neither of the groups had given Evelyn a second thought since had walked onto the street.

It was a good thing I was following so close behind, otherwise they would have been after me in a heartbeat.

I had no idea what Evelyn was looking for, there weren't any stores in this area, just office buildings. Still she kept on skipping and humming, looking in windows and looking over her shoulder. And I stayed those few feet behind her, hiding in shadowed alleyways or behind decorative centerpieces. You know those big abstract ones the business people used to put up in their courtyards, because they had money and they wanted to flaunt it. Yeah they make very useful covers sometimes, when they're not riddled with avant garde holes of artisticness that no one understood but pretended they did.

 Amazing how everything used to be a metaphor for the struggle between life and death and literally that was what our lives had devolved into.

 I followed her for a whole twenty minutes through what used to be the finance district of the downtown Toronto core until she came to an abrupt halt and so did I. She ripped out her headphone and stashed her player. Her eyes were set off into the distance, somewhere down the street, and I had no idea what it could be.

 Instinctively I was planning an escape route in my mind. Last time this had happened it had been a stampede of zombies and the clever little bugger that Evelyn was decided she was going to lead that stampede in my direction and then climbed up a fire escape. If that was going to happen to me again I was going to be ready for it.

 Instead, Evelyn dove under a parked car and not four seconds later I heard the hum of an engine coming towards us. That could have only been one thing.

 Drifters.

 They were the only ones who had working vehicles. Okay, that's not true. Other survivors had cars, and the Biocom people had cars, but they knew better then to drive around on this road. This was a Drifter highway and they'd gladly take your car, your stuff and your life for being on their road.

 I incorrectly assumed that she was hiding from them. I should have known better. Evelyn didn't hide like a normal person. Evelyn stayed out in the open and when she got in trouble she'd flee. That was it. There was no caution, no worry, and no regard for what could happen. She did what she wanted and when things got out of hand she ran away. She would be of no use in a fight, hell from what I could see the girl didn't even carry a weapon.

 No, once the caravan was going past, Evelyn was in motion again, hooking onto the back of a supply car and letting herself into the back. I found that impressive for three reasons.

 1. That was a moving vehicle. Sure they hadn't been going fast but she had gotten on and gotten in without anyone noticing.

2. Those supply trucks are locked when they're not being loaded. That meant she had to have keys to get in and I have no idea how she would even manage to get those.

3. No one... EVER stole from the Drifters. No one. Not without like... dying after. And yet here this bitch was stealing from them.

I could only watch as the cars drove off and I was left, still a few feet from where she had been, knowing that now I'd have to try and save her from the Drifters if I wanted to get the info about her house and her ways. I sighed and forced myself into a jog, it wouldn't be safe anyway without her, might as well get away from the zombies now before they realized I wasn't with Evelyn.