PART 4: The Others .3

Rebecca's P.O.V.

Melissa brought us to the Shady house... by walking. Her car was gone and my sense of impending doom and disaster was on the rise. Half way through the walk I had given up on life forcing the boys to carry all my stuff or I'd whine and cry and attract all the zombies. When we got to the house I could tell immediately something was wrong about it.

For one, Melissa had left the drawbridge down and when I asked her about pulling it up she seemed unwilling to do so. The house itself seemed dull compared to how it looked before, and Melissa seemed oddly concerned with leaving things untouched.

The boys dropped all our bags down on the porch and took in a deep breath. Melissa went for the door but it wouldn't move. She frowned and tugged on it a few more times.

"What's wrong?" I asked her.

"It was unlocked when I left..." she mumbled.

"Why does it need to be unlocked?" Will wondered.

"Yeah, thought you had everything under your control," I shot back.

I was standing across from Melissa tapping my foot as she glared at me.

"It's hard to explain," she growled to me.

I stopped past her to the metal door that was refusing to move. "Tell me what is going on right this instant!" I screamed kicking the door with all my might.

Melissa gasped and in a frighteningly horrible moment there came a blaring siren that interrupted the silence. All of us put our hands over our ears, all except Melissa who swore loudly and then turned on me.

"You idiot! Now we'll never get back in!" she cried.

"Never get in?" I echoed. "You said you had full control of the house!"

Melissa avoided our collective eyes. William stomped his foot very intimidatingly in a way that would have terrified me but only made Melissa look more angry.

"Tell us what's happening right now!" he ordered.

Melissa rolled her eyes. "I... I never had control..." she admitted and everyone stared at her in shocked horror. She winced and continued: "I woke up this morning and Evelyn was gone."

"So what? You made friends with her?" I asked.

"No... yes... I don't know. We saved each other's lives and I don't know I got knocked out and woke up alone! Evelyn's been gone for days, I'm thinking about two days or maybe three, she could be dead for all I know, so I just figured I could take the house even if it wasn't on..."

"It wasn't on?" we thundered together.

"... well no... but it's run on a computer program I figured Keith could hack it or something," Melissa said with a shrug.

Keith had been a computer nerd in the past, and by computer nerd I mean he was a self proclaimed hacker that ripped movies and put them on the internet or hacking into Netflix to get his subscription for free.

Hardly a hacker if you ask me.

"So what... you just weren't going to tell us the truth? What if Evelyn came back?" I cried.

"Do you think I wanted to admit that that stupid little brat got the upper hand on me? That if those Drifters hadn't decided to attack she would have carved me up and fed me to her zombies?" she snapped rounding on me in a violent fashion. I took a step back worried that she might actually attempt to hit me.

"Now we have to leave and hope the alarm stops or that thing is going to drive the whole city crazy," she growled.

She turned and promptly froze. I followed her gaze and saw that the drawbridge had risen up. Great, now we had to swim our way out. I made sure to knock my shoulder into hers as I walked away from her so she knew just how mad I was at her as I attempt to stomp down the stairs to prove my point further.

Luckily for me she had grabbed me before I could set a foot on the grass. I wanted to be angry but when I looked down, right where my foot would have fallen was a 1x1 foot square of spikes that had shot up between the grass blades. They were sparking and making those static sounds and for some reason the grass around it started to blacken.

I stared at it as Melissa huffed angrily. "Great, the whole alarm system is on," she growled. "Do you know what that means?"

"No what does it mean?" Will whispered but I was sure we didn't want to know the answer.

"It means the whole alarm system is on," she said through grit teeth.

I rolled my eyes and shot a disgusted glare over my shoulder. "You already said that."

From the side of the house came grunting and when I turned around both boys plus Melissa were pulling out their weapons from their packs. I couldn't understand what was happening, until the group of zombies shuffled out from back of the house. Their grey eyes found me and the whole world went still.

"Stay quiet, they haven't been fed in a while, maybe they won't notice us," Melissa hissed.

I couldn't keep it in. I wasn't equipped for all of this death and destruction. I was a flimsy fragile girl and the sight of those things was too terrifying to handle.

So I screamed, long and loud, until Melissa hit me as hard as she could stunning me into silence. But it was too late. The zombies gnashed their terrible teeth and oozed their disgusting black ooze all over their torn shirts and then rushed forward.