Year 1 Part 2 (chapter 2)

Word count: 1.4k

The morning after the Sorting Ceremony, Severus groans when he wakes up in his private chambers. He does NOT want to teach any of the dunderhead students.

And the fact that he has to teach those incompetent Weasley twins today doesn't help. He sighs deeply. He doesn't get paid enough for this.

After a few minutes, he finally decides to get out of bed. He immediately puts on his clothes and cloak, not bothering to take a shower. He doesn't care.

He tries his best to survive the day. Thank Merlin he doesn't have the first-years yet - he has a few days to prepare himself mentally.

At breakfast, he scowls when he sees Potter laughing with the youngest Weasley boy. The Granger girl rolls her eyes at them as she reads the Daily Prophet. Interesting.

He stops looking at them as Quirrell decides to sit next to him. "Good m-m-morning, S-Severus" Quirrell says as he greets him.

Severus sighs. "Good morning" he mutters with irritation. He doesn't like Quirrell and his stupid turban.

As he's eating his meal while ignoring the Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher, Severus can't help but look at the Slytherin table. Of course, all the students from his House are behaving well, unlike those insufferable Gryffindors.

He sees his Godson, Draco Malfoy, sitting next to two big boys and across a girl and another boy.

In the corner of the Slytherin table closest to the staff table is Y/L/N sitting, all alone while reading a book. Well, not just any book - the first-years' Potions book.

That amuses Severus a bit. It reminds him of when he went to Hogwarts himself. He also preferred reading a book and sitting alone rather than eating his meal.
______________________________

As a few days pass by, Severus notices that Y/L/N always sits alone while reading a book. Particularly her school books. She seems to be quite interested in Potions and Herbology.

Ever since Minerva called out her name, Severus has constantly been thinking about where he has heard her last name before. It's honestly starting to annoy him since he still has no idea.

Right now, Severus is strolling towards the library as he needs to find a new book to keep him entertained on his sleepless nights. He has read most of the books from here, but they will do.

As he enters the library, he doesn't expect there to be any students at this time of the day - but he's wrong.

In the library are Y/L/N and Granger sitting at each their table, reading and taking quite a few notes. They both seem to be preparing for their first Potions class tomorrow.

Granger occasionally says something to Y/L/N, talking her ears off. The Slytherin girl just nods, seeming too shy to say anything back.

Without saying anything to the girls, Severus quickly grabs a book and strolls out of the library, heading towards his private chambers in the dungeons.

He can't sleep that night, just like any other night. There's too much for the Potions Master to worry about.

Fear of the Dark Lord returning, memories of Lily Evans, imbecile students not doing their homework, protecting the Stone, the Potter boy, where he has heard the last name Y/L/N before...

After reading for a while, Severus finally falls asleep.
______________________________

The next morning, the day has come. Severus has to teach the new first-years.

He sighs before getting out of bed, putting on his clothes as well as his cloak and walking out of his chambers. He didn't even bother going to the Great Hall to eat breakfast. At least he got some extra sleep.