Three Months Later (chapter 40)

Author's note:
Surprise! Did you really think I would end the story like that?

Here is the actual end of Friendship with the Potions Master! I hope you enjoy!
———————————————

Word count: 2.5k
Warning: Age gap (Y/N is 18 years old)

It's been three months since the war ended.

Y/N got Outstanding in all her subjects in her NEWTS. Severus couldn't be more proud. She also got her internship - she will start next month. He knew she could do it.

As for Draco, the boy still has no idea what he wants to do. He has been thinking about teaching Alchemy at Hogwarts...

But first, he has to focus on his wedding. He will get married to Pansy Parkinson next week.

Draco can't express enough how happy he is. He's sending a letter to his Godfather almost every day, stating how happy he is and how he can't wait for everyone to be at his wedding.

He has even invited Potter and his friends, saying it's merely to show truce. Well, nonetheless, the Gryffindors have accepted the invitations.

Speaking of letters, Y/N sends Severus letters every day. And he replies to every single one of them.

He always gets so happy when her brown owl knocks on his window, nuzzling his arm before stretching out its leg for Severus to grab his letter.

Y/N has come to visit him quite often together with Draco. However, this time, he has invited her and only her.

He needs to finally tell her. He can't take it anymore, he might go insane if he never tells her how he feels.

At this point, he doesn't care if she will be disgusted with him. He really needs to tell her, to say it out loud for her to hear.

He just hopes it won't ruin their friendship... He hopes she will still want to see him, not cutting him out of her life.

A few seconds later, a knock on the door can be heard. Severus takes a deep breath. It's now or never. He has to do this.

He slowly walks towards the door, opening it. As he does so, he's met by Y/N smiling, her owl on her shoulder.

"Severus! I missed you so much!" she exclaims, hugging him tightly.

The owl flies off her shoulder in time, hooting happily.

Severus can't help but chuckle, immediately hugging her back. "I missed you too, Y/N" he admits.

He then sighs. Can he truly do this?

"Severus?" she asks, looking worried.

Clearing his throat, Severus gestures for her to sit down on the couch. She immediately does so.

"Y/N, I have to tell you something... But before I do so, please don't yell at me. I understand if you will never wish to see me again, but please just... listen" he begs, pacing around. He can't sit down, he's too nervous to do that.

Looking even more worried, the girl merely nods. Severus decides to continue.

"There's something I've been wanting to tell you for such a long time... You see, I have been in denial. I have just been too afraid to admit it" he says, thinking how to word this.

Should he just blurt it out? How in Merlin's name do you confess your feelings to someone?

He takes a deep breath. "Y/N, I..." he says, trailing off.

There's no going back now.

"I love you, Y/N. I love you so much, with all my heart. I have for such a long time. And I don't mean as friends, I mean as... more. I know this is inappropriate, considering not long ago you were my student, and also the fact that I am twenty years older than you, but I do. I really do love you. I understand that you don't love me back as you love someone else, I understand if you are disgusted with me right now. But please know that I just had to tell you, I would go insane if I didn't. If you agree, we can stay friends... If you wish to never see me ever again, I promise I won't ever bother you..." he says, finally confessing his feelings.