TWENTY-TWO

"Photosynthesis. Go." Carly said to the boy.

"Uh..." Paxton said, scratching the back of his head. He was trying really hard to remember all these terms but it was hard. But he was trying his best to try and impress the girl. 

"C'mon Paxton spit it out."

"Uh the process by which plants that um..."

"Yes. almost there."

"Um..."

"Remember our acronym." Carly reminds the boy.

"Swcd. sunlight, water, and carbon dioxide."

"There you go half way there."

"To create um... oxygen and energy in um..."

"In what Paxton c'mon."

"Form of sugar?"

"Yes!" Carly cheered.

'Photosynthesis is the process by which plants use sunlight, water, and carbon dioxide to create oxygen and energy in form of sugar." Paxton repeated causing the girl to smile. 

"Yes!" The girl high fived the boy. "Now was that so hard?"

Paxton chuckled. "Ok next."

"Krebs cycle."

"Krebs cycle. Um... it's a series of chemical reactions that are used by all living cells to generate energy during the aerobic respiration process."

"Yes! And where does it take place in?"

"Shit. The mitochondria?"

"Exactly! And that's the last flash card." Carly tossed the deck of flashcards to the side. 

Paxton smiled. "Thanks Carly. You didn't have to do this but you did. I don't think I would pass this test without you."

"I am a pretty good teacher huh?"

"You and your ego." Paxton said, looking at the girl. "Hey Carls do you think maybe we can..."

"Carly." Both of them turned their heads to see EJ. "Your turn."

Carly nodded, getting up only for the boy to stop her. "I'll do it."

"You sure? I was only joking about that."

"Well I wasn't. I'm trying to do better at keeping promises." Paxton took the baton and started walking to the track.

Carly looked at the boy. She liked spending time with the boy and didn't realize studying was so much fun so she did what she maybe shouldn't have done.

"Carly? Where are you going?" EJ asked the girl but she didn't give the boy an answer.

"Hey Paxton. Wait up." She jogged up to the boy. "Let me join you."

"What?" Paxton was surprised to see the girl follow after him. 

"Be prepared to get your ass kicked."