FORTY-ONE

"I can't believe you and EJ are going to the Winter Dance together." Lily said, looking through the racks of dresses.

"You're telling me." Carly was stressed. She did absolutely terrible at her away game. Going 1-4 was not something Carly was used to. She was one of the leaders on the team and always set the tone for the team. Thankfully, her team had her back and was able to go home with a W but if she doesn't get her shit together and focus, she can kiss her UCLA scholarship goodbye. All because of one boy.

"You okay? You sound stressed."

Carly sighed. "A little."

"Tell mommy."

"You did not just say that." Carly chuckled as her friend just shrugged, not embarrassed at all. "Well I've just been thinking a lot lately. I don't know if I wanna go through with this date because I already know I'mma catch feelings again and I don't want that."

"Why not?"Carly didn't respond to the girl. "It's Paxton huh?"

Carly nodded. "I just thought he would have asked me you know. I mean don't get me wrong, I'm not upset going with EJ. He's been there for me since everything but..."

"You just don't see EJ that way?"

"Yeah. He's just like a brother to me. I don't feel anything for him."

Lily chuckled. "Does he know that?"

Carly shrugged. "Idks. He's a smart boy so I wanna say yes? But then again he's not a mind reader so..."

"Ok understandable. But don't think of it as a date. Think of it as two friends going together so you don't embarrass yourself going dateless."

"What's wrong with going dateless?"

Lily shrugged. "Nothing. Forget I even said that. My point is is that you think too much about the what ifs. Sometimes you can't predict stuff without actually doing it."

"Blah. you're supposed to be on my side."

"Always but sometimes you have a tendency to overthink everything. And I mean everything."

Carly rolled her eyes. "Are we done here?"

Lily sighed at her stubborn friend. "For now. C'mon let's try these on, my hands are dying." 

✄-----------------------------

SOOOO I just realized there are only 2 chapters left...

LIKE WHAT!! SINCE WHEN??