FORTY-THREE

Carly was having a blast at the dance. The girl knew that EJ was on the same page as her with going as friends. That and because she made it clear to the boy they're only friends and nothing more. He agreed and only asked her because he didn't want to ask one of his fan girls and it was too much work. He wanted to go with someone he was comfortable with.

"Has anyone noticed how good Eleanor looks?" Trent asked the group.

Carly was confused. She didn't know Trent felt that way for her friend. "Huh?"

"Nothing."

"You like Eleanor dude?" Caeleb asked.

"Who said that?"

"You did." Eddie said.

"No I didn't."

"Yes you did." Lily said.

"What?"

"Look she's alone. Why don't you ask her to dance." Carly encouraged the boy. He asked EJ to fix his tie which he did as they watched the boy walk up to Eleanor asking her to dance which she accepted. He gave his friends a thumbs up and danced with the girl. EJ and Carly excused themselves to go get some punch.

"Trent and Eleanor? I would have never guessed that." Carly said to the boy as he handed her a cup of punch which she accepted and took a sip of it.

"No kidding." EJ chuckled. "Maybe it'll be a good thing?"

"Hopefully. He better not break her heart."

EJ shook his head but stopped when he saw the couple in the middle of the dance floor. "Holy shit. He actually came."

Carly turned her head and her heart stopped. There in the middle of the dance floor with Devi and Paxton slow dancing. She knew she shouldn't have gotten her hopes up. "Of course it's her. It's always been her."

"What? No it hasn't."

"We're clearly not seeing the same thing right now."

EJ shook his head. "After that kiss, he wanted to be with you but since you didn't kiss back he thought you didn't like him that way. That's why he said it was a mistake but let me tell you, it was anything but a mistake."

"So why didn't he tell me."

EJ shrugged. "Your guess is as good as mine. But he still likes you Carls. But with his ego and everything he couldn't handle another rejection especially from you. He was gonna ask you to the Winter Dance." Carly looked at the boy. "Sorry about that. If it weren't for me maybe you two would have gotten back together."

"It's not your fault EJ."

"Maybe not. But I did know everything about how he felt about you but I guess me and my selfish self just didn't want to go to my last Winter Dance dateless. Maybe I should have asked a random senior to go so you could have gone with Paxton. So for the record it wasn't always about her." EJ admitted, half smiling to the girl as he walked away.

Carly sighed as she watched the couple dance. Ben came to her side looking at the same scene. And with everything else happening at the dance, Carly and Ben couldn't help but think if they would ever have a chance anymore especially since now Devi and Paxton are together.