TWENTY-THREE

"So is the arm getting any better?" Carly asked the boy as she took a bite of her hot dog.

After the mile they ran together, they came back to study for a little more before both of them got hungry and got something to eat.

There wasn't much options, other than hot dogs. 

Paxton shrugged. "It's getting there."

"So is swimming completely out of the picture?"

"Yeah. Swim season is basically over. We didn't qualify for finals so that sucks."

"There's always next year right?"

Paxton nodded. "Yeah but that would be very tight trying to find a scholarship the same year I'll be graduating. Ideally I want it like a year in advance."

"Understandable. Maybe you can talk to the scouts and ask if they can watch you later, you know when you're fully recovered and healthy again."

"Too much work."

"Sometimes the things you really want in life, you have to work for it. I know it's a concept you're unfamiliar about but if you really want that swimming scholarship or go to college, you have to work for it." Carly explained to the boy. "Because at the end of the day it's you that's going to college and you want to be proud of yourself because you're the one that got yourself there, not someone else."

Paxton nodded. "Yeah. I guess I just don't know what I'm doing with my life right now?"

"Usually how junior year works. Remember when Jason (Carly's older brother) dropped baseball because he kept getting struckout."

"Yeah and then rejoined the next year."

"Well when your dad is Brennan Tan I think you should think twice to drop something you're supposed to be good at."

Paxton chuckled then getting serious. "Hey Carls?"

"Yeah?"

"I really missed you. And I'm not saying that just to say it but I didn't realized how much I needed you in my life. You were always so blunt to me. And I love that about you. You never sugarcoated anything."

"I am a blunt bitch." Carly chuckled. 

"That you are. You always tell me straight up."

Carly smiled and then remembered their conversation a few days ago. "Yes."

"Huh?"

"Remember when you asked me if we could start over and I gave a shitty answer maybe." Paxton nodded. "Now I'm saying yes. I'd like it if we started over."

"Really?"

"Yup. So friends?" Carly stuck her hand out for the boy to shake which he did.

"Friends."