THIRTY-FIVE

Oh Carly did think about it alright. She spent the weekend and the entire softball game on Friday thinking about what EJ said to the girl. She remembered how Paxton told her he asked EJ for advice from time to time but she didn't think it was actually true.

She was happy the two of them were getting along but really wanted to know what the hell they talked about.

"Lily please help me." Carly said to the girl as they were both at Target getting some things.

"Well I did." Lily said.

Carly shook her head, putting in a pack of yellow Gatorade in their cart. "No. You told me I should have kissed him back. And that doesn't help."

Lily shrugged. "Then I got nothing."

"You're no help." Carly groaned.

"Yeah..."

"I don't know what to do."

"I think maybe you should talk to him. EJ's right. He probably knows something you obviously don't because weirdly enough he and Paxton talk but the point is is that you're not a mind reader. So you never know what he's thinking unless you ask him."

Carly nodded. "I'm just scared."

"Of?"

"Stuff. Him. Our friendship, our relationship. What happens if it was a mistake for him and I wanted more? That would bruise my ego even more."

"You and your big ego. But I get it. What happened between you two, you don't want to happen again. But sometimes shutting people out and running away from your problems only makes things worse. Talk to him Carls. Both of you deserve it."

And that's exactly what Carly did the next day.