𝙲𝙷. 𝟺𝟻 ☯︎︎ 𝙶𝚛𝚊𝚗𝚍𝚙𝚊 𝙲𝚑𝚘𝚒'𝚜 𝙻𝚘𝚌𝚔𝚜𝚖𝚒𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛𝚢 𝙿𝚝. 𝟸

♊︎Year 5067, Month 8, Day 8, Time 12:46 am♊︎

☯︎︎

The tattooed woman struggles with setting aside her doubts over her previous conversation that nibbles at the ends of her mind even as she walks up the stairs to get to where San resides.

it's not a matter of 'do you plan to betray him', it's more of a matter of 'when'

The words replay in her mind once, then twice, then thrice, and it would've continued to torment her if Jongho hadn't ripped her out of her thoughts.

"Hey," Jongho sets a hand on her shoulder to stop her, almost making her jump out of her skin. He takes note of her jitteriness, quirking an eyebrow in worry. "Olivia told me what you just did. She's worried for you. I'm worried. San's worried. You haven't been in the best place lately."

"I'm fine. I'm peachy. Juniper is just good at getting under my skin."

"That's not—," Jongho stops himself to think of what he's about to say. "That's not what I meant."

"I know that's not what you meant, but what else am I supposed to say? It's been weeks since I've been back and we're still not even an inch closer to finding Candy because we've either been recovering or busy with other things. MALUS is up to my ass somehow finding me wherever it is I go. I just came back from finding out that my whole life is a lie after getting tortured half to death by Evan, and on top of that I find out that somewhere out there, there is a clone of me that the Meisters are using to replace me. So tell me, Jongho, what the hell am I supposed to say?" The mechanic drops his gaze.

"At least, don't lie to us and tell us you're fine."

"Fine. I'm insufferable. Absolutely crappy. Happy?" Jongho cracks a smile, shaking his head.

"That's better. Sounds real." He lets go of Kurenai, scratching the back of his neck before blowing out some air. "That's all I wanted you to admit to yourself. Now go help San." He nods on over to the door behind her where she hears San and Olivia chatting.

She walks over to it and pushes the door in slightly, wincing when it creaks and silences the prior conversation.

"I hope I'm not interrupting." Kurenai excuse herself, stepping into the room and warily walking over to where San sits atop a stool with his bareback to Olivia who's cleaning up his wound.

"I was just finishing up with his last pair of stitches," Olivia informs her with a sweet smile, dabbing the freshly stitched wound with alcohol and standing up straight. She fishes out a roll of bandages and tosses it to Kurenai who easily catches it. "I trust you to wrap him up."

"Sure." Kurenai nears San. He doesn't turn to look at her or even acknowledge her, making Kurenai fidgety.

"I'll leave you two to it then." Olivia turns sharply, exiting the room rather hastily and closing the door behind her. The tattooed woman clears her throat, a flimsy attempt at getting San's attention which half works when he glances over his shoulder to side-eye her.

"I would turn around to face you, but my body feels like it's burning up from the inside." He comments, bringing a small grin to both of their faces.

"Let me make it easier for you then." Kurenai moves over to stand in front of him, averting her eyes from his soft gaze. A gaze she feels unworthy of having directed at her. "How are you feeling?"