𝙲𝙷. 𝟺𝟼 ☯︎︎ 𝚂𝚗𝚎𝚊𝚔𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝙱𝚊𝚌𝚔 𝙸𝚗

♊︎Year 5067, Month 8, Day 8, Time 4:22 am♊︎

☯︎︎

"Wake up," A soft whisper makes its way to his ear, having the opposite effect of what it wants him to do. "San, please, wake up. We have to get going." The source of the voice nudges him gently, successfully stirring him awake.

San's eyes flutter open to the empty spot on the bed next to him and wrinkled sheets, the thoughts of last night coming back to him now that he's escaped the endless abyss of sleep. Craning his neck over his shoulder, he realized that Kurenai was the one waking him up. At some point, Kurenai, who was just in his arms, traded her spot with the pillow he's now hugging close to him. San huffs, his lips pushing out into a pout and his brows pinching up.

"What time is it?"

"4:22 am," Kurenai answers, helping him sit upright so that he doesn't mess up his stitches. San groans as he sits up, holding onto Kurenai's arms a little while longer which makes her crouch down between his legs.

"How long have you been up?" San yawns, the drowsy effects of sleep still keeping a tight grip on him.

"Maybe like an hour before I woke you up, but you were so deep in sleep that I thought I'd let you rest a little while longer." Kurenai smiles up at him even though he frowns, setting her hands on his thighs to balance herself.

"You're the one that needs to rest more than me." San chides, lifting a hand to run it through Kurenai's hair where the small traces of her earlier shower remain.

"You're right." Kurenai sighs, giving his thighs a small squeeze and standing up straight. "I woke up with a terrible headache. I'm just not sure if it's from the cosmopolitans I had, the fighting I did, or the impact of those memories."

"Probably a mixture." San guesses, cracking a smile. The tattooed woman keeps her smile, her eyes drifting to her feet with her hands on her hips. She jumps into action a moment after, moving around the room and looking for some new, clean bandages for the mulleted man.

"Anyways, how's your back?" She queries, finding a fresh roll of bandage wrap and ushering San over to the stool. He gets up, his face contorting into a grimace as he moves, still not completely healed.

"It still hurts but it's not like yesterday." He tells her, taking a seat on the stool and pulling his shirt over his head. "How's your lip and thigh?"

"My thigh is healing pretty well, as for my lip..." she drawls, undoing the bandages on his back. "It would be better if you hadn't kissed me so hard yesterday." Detecting the playful lilt in her tone, San smirks as he looks over his shoulder.

"Are you calling me a bad kisser?" He plays along, waiting for her to finish with the bandages.

"I never said that, but if the shoe fits," She shrugs innocently, finishing up the last knot and squeezing his shoulder. Kurenai walks around him until she's standing in front, both her hands behind her back and her head tilted to the side. "Does the shoe fit?"

"Why don't we see? People usually say second's a charm."  Smugly wrapping his arms around her waist, he pulls her into a quick kiss that arouses loud giggles in both of them. San can feel her smiling into the kiss, both her hands resting on either side of his face even when she pulls back. "So?"