𝙲𝙷. 𝟷 ☯︎︎ 𝙼𝚒𝚍𝚍𝚕𝚎

♊︎Year 5067, Month 4, Day 6, Time 6:45 pm♊︎

☯︎︎

"Oi, Dumb-ass," A stern voice on the other end of the earpiece calls for her, bringing her out of the mindless stupor she was just lost in. Her lip twitches upward in a scowl, and she's tempted to insult the man on the other side with a colorful set of offenses, but she thinks better of it, remembering where she is and for what.

"Was the insult necessary?" She speaks back to the man who just chuckles in a low tone.

"To see you pissed off, yes. Don't think I didn't see the scowl you made," At hearing this, the woman lifts her head, looking around the room, dimly lit by the magnificent candelabras whose lights delicately kiss the creme-colored walls in an enticing way. They make the walls appear to be made out of gold.

Filled with hushed-chatter and gossip of the highest class, the place exudes snottiness and money. There's a slight whirring of a mechanism that she hears coming before above her head and for a moment she sees the grey drone break out of its camouflage to briefly reveal itself to her. That, she supposes, is where her partner is monitoring her from.

She picks up the half-filled glass of pinkish champagne that had been placed before her moments ago, taking a large swig as she looks directly into the drone's camera.

"Creep," She mutters just loud enough for the earpiece to pick it up. Exactly as she had expected, the man on the line protests, making the edge of her lip curl up into a smirk knowing she's gotten back at him. "Okay now. Concentrate. Give me a rundown of the assignment." She commands quietly, conscious of the people in finely tailored suits and obnoxiously conspicuous dresses around her. Obediently, her friend begins summing up what it is she was assigned to this place for.

"The first target's name: Giovanni Montebello."

"Italian, lemme guess, is he a mob boss someone wants dead?"

"Ooh, so close! He's actually a million-dollar entrepreneur that has recently had a falling-out with the man that filed this request. The report here says..." She hears her partner pause briefly as the small sound of flipping pages scratches at her ear. "He's the head of a sex trafficking ring for the disgustingly rich and touch-deprived perverts in the upper class. Has been for about 2 years, actually. Can you believe this man charges his customers 4k per hour?! The people willing to pay that must be horny as hell."

Her jaw clenches when she hears the information on her next victim being dutifully reported to her. Both repulsed and angered, she finds herself glad that she decided to take up the assignment before anyone else.

"Poor girls," She laments sadly, moving on before she can get too caught up in that train of thought. "Anything else I should know?" She asks, downing the last bit of her champagne smoothly while looking around the highest-of-class banquet hall she finds herself in.

Everyone is going about their own business, talking in hushed tones to not disrupt the orchestra that's currently playing "Fly Me to the Moon" by Frank Sinatra. Still a classic. The smell of cheap colognes and perfumes begins to sting her nostrils so strongly that she begins to get a bit light-headed. To think that the highest people of society would choose to save their money on colognes while they spend their billions on other banalities.

"The second target is the reason for this expensively decorated banquet hall. Dr. Amy Greenberg, shareholder and lead scientist to the largest company in the world— MALUS industries. She was suspected to be the mole for a project on the latest drug that's to be released into the black market for the highest bidder. Better to stay safe than sorry, I guess."