004. the end of the world

I LOVE YOU SO
Chapter Four
The end of the world.

 ❜

EVERYONE NEEDS SOMEONE who they can depend on in their life; someone to give it structure

EVERYONE NEEDS SOMEONE who they can depend on in their life; someone to give it structure. Someone to give it meaning. To achieve goals together, listen to one another, have each other's back. To do silly dances in the rain together, to share a matcha flavoured ice cream that's on a fish shaped cone, make each other heartfelt playlists, sing at the top of their lungs on the roof together even if it pisses the neighbours off.

Kang Sae-byeok once had that with another being, that exact kind of delight in her life. It gave her a reason to push herself forward every day. Speaking figuratively, all her life she'd been sticking to one path and as she strolled onwards, Sae-byeok held on to her former friend's hand tightly and never strayed off that path without that former friend.

That former friend was Hwang Aera- and when she disappeared from her life, it dug a void within Sae-byeok's mind. Aera seized her heart and tossed to where she disappeared to, the great unknown.

Recalling her fond childhood, Sae-byeok smiled softly to herself, it bittersweetly tugged at the corner of her lips. She remembered the enormous skeletal tree in her hometown, and how miniature lemons would grow on the branches every spring, it was where Aera and Sae-byeok would meet up before school.

Never liking the feeling of being late, Sae-byeok would arrive at the lemon tree early, the sun would've reached its mid, shining directly on the large tree. She'd have her green bike by her feet, and whenever she looked at it, she felt an immense amount of gratitude. On her twelfth birthday, she remembered when Aera dragged her towards the river bank, it was rainy that day, but Sae-byeok loved it. Right beside the river was her gleaming green bike, her heart swelled at the generous gift.

Sae-byeok could retell the story on how she got her bicycle in strong detail, the memory never left her mind. She remembered what Aera said when she gave it to her, "so you don't have to sit on the back of my bike every time we cycle to school," little Aera had said with a cheerful grin. After that, Sae-byeok embraced her quickly. After while, she bashfully let go first. But Aera tugged her back, hugging her for a little longer.