011. burning bridges

I LOVE YOU SO
Chapter Eleven
Burning bridges.

 ❜

CROSSING COMPLICATED BRIDGES can be quite the task

CROSSING COMPLICATED BRIDGES can be quite the task. With the rumbling waters below the unsteady bridge, it's often difficult for one to journey through it. The thundering waters start with a tiny tributary, it meanders and sometimes or mostly, there are perplex obstacles in the way, which causes the river to split up. Then eventually, the entirety of the water ends up in the sea.

The final destination.

A river quite literally represents the fond memories of the past, it gradually follows us until the final destination. Of course, there are other ways to escape the darker memories, and that's by crossing the bridge we mentioned before. The bridge can be rickety and unsafe, causing uncertainty to arise and often cause doubt.

With one palm pressed against Aera's cheek, Sae-byeok glazed her eyes over Aera's soft features, and for a moment, it felt like those innocent times, where the young heart was not tainted very often. Lowering her hand slightly, she parted her lips to say something, but thought against it. It's rare to think that such beauteous features can take such a toll on the heart.

"Why are you here Sae? Out of everywhere, I never thought . . . I never thought you'd be in a place like this," Aera roughly muttered, she winced as it felt like a couple hundred cactuses were tearing at her throat.

Aera's gentle breath caused Sae-byeok's delicate eyelashes to flutter slightly. She was still rested on the stairs, her back aching a tint bit from reaching over to nurse Aera. The question brought Sae-byeok back into her cruel reality, one where she's trapped in a death zone. "Why are you?"

Scanning Sae-byeok's lightly freckled face, a small smile reached Aera's lips. She remembered when she tried counting each individual freckle, during those nights under the faint moonlight by the tranquil river in the park. She always lost count. Noticing how Sae-byeok shifted uncomfortably on the steps, "it's a long story, might be easier to buy the e-book," Aera tried to lighten the mood, a weak chuckle fell from her soft bubblegum pink lips, "but I'm serious Sae. What made you come here?"

Sae-byeok tore her gaze away from Aera's worried face, it was easier to drill her eyes into the ground, rather than watching concern flood into Aera's eyes. Fiddling with the label on Aera's blanket that was draped over her legs, "I need the money. For my family," Sae-byeok's expression hardened.