007. they're all monsters

I LOVE YOU SO
Chapter Seven
They're all monsters.

 ❜

STARING EMPTILY AT the floor, old sweat clung on to Aera's back, making her clothes stick uncomfortably against her skin

STARING EMPTILY AT the floor, old sweat clung on to Aera's back, making her clothes stick uncomfortably against her skin. Her muscles were taut, unmoving. Even the brawl between the head supervisor and a couple of players didn't phase her, she just remained still. She did nothing but stay motionless. Almost lifeless- it was ironic because she was one of the few people who made it out alive, yet, she didn't feel like a champion . . . but she felt dull and spiritless.

Only nibbling on the tiniest bit of the golden bread, just so she could show some gratitude towards Ji-yeong and her kind offer, the aroma sat saltily on Aera's tongue, mixing in with the mournful tears that trickled down her cheeks.

Between her fingers, she fiddled with the necklace that hung around her neck, it was cold, almost soothing, she placed the heart pendant against her cheek, trying to find comfort. The smooth surface rested against her pallid cheeks.

Casting her mind back to the day she received the heart locket, it sat hazily within her mind, it was difficult to tell who gave it to her, especially when it's been so many years. Aera had grown from then, matured, started a new chapter and moved on from that childhood innocence. She always tried her hardest to hold on to that purity, but life always ruined it.

That dalgona game was a flawless example.

Something within Aera wished that she did something, anything to keep those players from dying. They were powerless under those supervisor's cruel weapons. Their pained and desperate cries rang through her mind once more, as if she was reliving the horrid experience.

Carrying the burden of survivors guilt on her shoulders, it hurt to move her limbs. She tried to devour more of the bread within her hands, but it was merely possible with the loss of appetite and the constant recollections of the bloody corpses that dotted the floor.

Once Aera got out of there, even thinking of that felt selfish, she knew she'd never see a playground the same again. Her opinions on the purity of it all was destroyed.