013. life or death olympics

I LOVE YOU SO
Chapter Thirteen
Life of Death Olympics.

 ❜

PRANCING AROUND THE empty walls was a delicate butterfly

PRANCING AROUND THE empty walls was a delicate butterfly. Its wings were adorned with hues of browns and palettes of greys, there were hints of marine blue, hidden at the bottom of its wings. There were lines of black running through its wings too, almost like train tracks on a landscape, meandering in a certain way that's unique to the butterfly.

Frowning at the holes within the wings, Aera whispered whilst she stared at it as it frolicked around, "where do you think this butterfly came from?"

"The vents?" Pouting slightly at the odd butterfly that now crawled along the floor, a frown could be seen on the corner of Sae-byeok's lips at the sight of its injured wings, "it seems like it had a hard time getting here though."

"Maybe it tried to escape," wanting to reach out and hold it within her palms, Aera refrained herself from doing so, knowing that it could damage its wings, "there's probably a whole series of games, but for butterflies. Don't you think?" Scrunching her face up at the thought, she shook her head hastily, "no that can't be, this butterfly is too beautiful for such cruel games like these."

"I can assure you Aera that there's no such thing as life or death Olympics for butterflies," nibbling on a bit of her nail, Ji-yeong brought her hand away to inspect her hands, being bored, all whilst nodding at Aera reassuringly.

"Well I hope so," examining the lone butterfly with all her attention, she so badly wanted to pick it up and find an escape route for it, but of course, it wouldn't be possible, "ugh I just want to help it, but if you touch a butterfly, it would just . . . just remove its scales and then- and then it can't fly-"

"It's okay, Aera," stopping Aera from blubbering over a small insect, Sae-byeok laid a palm on to Aera's knee, making that area feel like it's burning. She started to draw small hearts, discreetly, with the tip of her finger, on the surface of Aera's knee, "I'm sure the butterfly will find its way out."

"You're right, just like us," Aera replied under her breath.

Being satisfied with that answer, Aera brought her gaze away and tried to focus on the task before her, though it was hard when her knee tickled from Sae-byeok's touch. Sighing shakily, she placed her chin within both her palms, Aera almost dozed off.