033. a wounded butterfly

I LOVE YOU SO
Chapter Thirty-three
A wounded butterfly.

cw: butterflies & blood

THERE ARE ABOUT 24,000 species of butterflies in the world

THERE ARE ABOUT 24,000 species of butterflies in the world. That's thousands of beauteous creatures in the shape of a small insect with iridescent wings, many have different patterned wings, shapes with different dips and colours. They're evolved from moths- such little yet charming critters.

But the string of life they hold onto, is immediately severed within a span of a week. We can only presume that they lived an adventurous and alluring short life as they slip away into the world of the dead; a tear fell free from Hwang Aera's forlorn eyes.

As she journeyed through the murky waters, a certain insect caught her almond coloured eyes. A lone butterfly. She recalled, instantly, the solitary butterfly that managed to enter the blank, vast, white room the players were once gathered in. Aera remembered the oceanic blue butterfly, how it fluttered joyously by the company of her and her friends . . . and how it was torn into shambles, abruptly, after the Tug-of-War game.

Where are you going? Hwang Aera asked mindlessly, her eyes dulled from the many possibilities that imprinted themselves within her already corrupted mind. The wandering butterfly did not seem like the previous butterfly she saw before, in fact, it daffodil yellow wings, with sparkles of silver, glinting from the sunlight that stretched into the tunnel.

"You're trying to find them, aren't you?" With a hushed voice, Aera's softened, yet slightly broken tone droned into the wide sewers, her eyes following the butterfly that fluttered deeper and deeper into the endless tunnel. It flapped its tired wings a little harder, as if it were trying to communicate to her, a replacement for inclining the head.

The exhausted woman didn't answer any further, but instead, felt as though someone drained out the contents of her heart into the muddy waters, and only left the skeletal frame within her hollow chest. Hwang Aera could only keep her gaze, on the lonely butterfly, for she felt almost connected to the young creature.