030. her very first checkmate

I LOVE YOU SO
Chapter Thirty
Her very first checkmate.

 ❜

LIKE CHESS, IT requires a stressful amount of patience, not just the brains

LIKE CHESS, IT requires a stressful amount of patience, not just the brains. With pressure crawling on your back, and time nagging in your ear, you need a steady hand and thoughtful mind to ensure your pieces are safe. Even on a small piece of wood, it's still possible for war to take place. Aera found herself trapped within a room full of strangers, strangers she'd like to take down with her own bare hands. In a game of chess, it's important to not let your guard down, one wrong move and the entire game could go askew, your chances of losing would increase.

"Oh it's getting exciting. Are you watching Miss Waitress?"

Gravely, chills tickled the back of Aera's neck, as if the phantoms of the deceased were breathing closely, next to her. Struggling to sit upright, she shut her eyes tightly, making the colour drain from her face for the fiftieth time that day.

Don't let your guard down. You're a Hwang. You've got this.

Curling her fingers closer into the pit of her palm, they trembled tinily as she dug her nails against the surface of her skin, making her knuckles pale from effort and her skin a burning shade of red. All the while, she focused on her breathing, in and out, just so she could control the sizzling amount of agitation that seeped into her veins.

Burning her eyes on to the wide digital screen, "these jerks." Another breathy swear left the girl's lips when the VIPs chorused a groan at the sight of another innocent player plummeting to their unavoidable death.

With a pounding pulse that drummed inside of her head, a seething sensation formed around Aera's arm, when she felt something heavy, seize it wholly. Sucking in a sharp breath, her red rimmed eyes flickered alarmingly towards her side, in which her eyes met with the damned VIP that had an golden deer mask on.